Seriously? 3 to 4 hours just for a server reset ?

Anything Onigiri related!

Seriously? 3 to 4 hours just for a server reset ?

Postby Fafhred » 30 Apr 2018, 23:59

From Today's maintenance post http://onigiri.cyberstep.com/info/topic/maintenance/18969:
"Today's maintenance will only entail a server reset ... maintenance is expected to last about 3 to 4 hours" :roll:

Well, I have worked many years as an IT professional, including as a network administrator.
I only have 1 thing to say: fire your IT staff and get professionals instead; resetting a server does not take much longer than resetting a standard PC, and I mean a cold boot.
I have never seen any server take longer than around 20 minutes for shutdown & restart sequence.
In the worst case there is a severe issue which would prevent restart, but you would know it in advance and plan otherwise.

I suspect that what they are really doing is a full backup before shutdown, instead of using incremental backups; but then they should not say 'only a server reset'.
Fafhred

Re: Seriously? 3 to 4 hours just for a server reset ?

Postby John Titor » 05 May 2018, 06:14

you must be new to how the onigiri servers work, let alone cyberstep. allow me to explain the pecking order cs has establish over the years of their games.

#1 their needs and wants come first and foremost before all else
#2 cash, lots of cash shop items to break a game even in a advertised f2p game
#3 refer back to #1
#4 refer to #3
#5 back to #1
John Titor

Re: Seriously? 3 to 4 hours just for a server reset ?

Postby Dark Deceiver » 05 Jun 2018, 05:44

Yeah, Cyberstep's not the best in the technical department. Should have seen how long it took in the early days, shortly after beta was done.
RIP Onigiri USPC: 2014-2021
Dark Deceiver

Return to General Discussion