[GUIDE]How to build you character

Post helpful information for other players here.

Re: [GUIDE]How to build you character

Postby Lazgrane » 01 Jul 2014, 03:53

Oh dear... I should have tested with other wep about that

Got some more knowledge but guess I'll wait till open beta to throughoutly tested them before I can say anything
Lazgrane

Postby Delacroix » 01 Jul 2014, 05:22

StingEucliffe wrote:
Delacroix wrote:Pardon me if this post reeks of noobishness but i've just registered and have looked around a few topics. Haven't read them extensively but i got the basic gist i suppose. About the hybrid build. I'm a bit torn apart on being a mage or Rogue ( I normally always choose rogues in all my other games, but mages are downright badasses with and really good with soloing missions which is sort of what i want. ).

So here now, so if i take a Cautious type and pump up my Wis and dex, could i make a hybrid Rogue mage? Can i have the best of both worlds or is it better to just stick to one line?

I like to experiment with my characters and if I have to stick to a formula or raising them then the game gets mundane fast. So, any help would be welcome.. Thanks in advance :D

That's when you have to decide if you want to focus on being a "mage" or a "rogue" in the early stages in the game. To basically translate all of the statistical/technical jargon; put your attention on ONE stat group until you reach level 40 or more clearly until you have around 60-75 points in one area (not counting bonuses) and then branch out to other stat groups if you wish.

Thanks for the reply.. Is it easier leveling up initially with a Rogue base or a Mage base? I'm talking solos. I think Mages would be preferred initially, But that's just me.
Delacroix

Postby Lazgrane » 01 Jul 2014, 06:20

Tekato wrote:Soloing with is pretty easy u could go with that :D

Unless you're a spearman or else prepare to die 9000 times :lol:
Lazgrane

Postby Tekato » 01 Jul 2014, 06:21

Soloing with is pretty easy u could go with that :D
Lv 115 Twinsword
Dead from Onigiri Cancer.
Tekato

Postby SupremeTentacle » 01 Jul 2014, 06:52

Delacroix wrote:Thanks for the reply.. Is it easier leveling up initially with a Rogue base or a Mage base? I'm talking solos. I think Mages would be preferred initially, But that's just me.

Dex base is easier to level up with

Lazgrane wrote:

What.

No, not really.
Selling all of my gear for ~40% of its market value!
~4 lv. 108 to 115 weapons remaining
Some skill card 7's, ougi, orna'd maga and other stuff too!
SupremeTentacle

Postby Delacroix » 01 Jul 2014, 09:14

SupremeTentacle wrote:
Delacroix wrote:Thanks for the reply.. Is it easier leveling up initially with a Rogue base or a Mage base? I'm talking solos. I think Mages would be preferred initially, But that's just me.

Dex base is easier to level up with

Lazgrane wrote:

What.

No, not really.

Thanks, is there further classification that seperates Rangers from dual swordsmen when it comes to dex build?
Delacroix

Postby SupremeTentacle » 01 Jul 2014, 09:21

Delacroix wrote:

Thanks, is there further classification that seperates Rangers from dual swordsmen when it comes to dex build?

Specifically, bow levels up really easily. Both of them are relatively single-target weapons, due to the nature of their basic attacks and the majority of the skills. However, bow is able to keep up good dps while pulling one enemy from the mob at a time. This allows them to easily clear dungeons that would elsewise be extremely difficult.

It's also extremely easy to kite bosses with bow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX9R_UFdcuc

Twin swords is actually really squishy, but, is also the first weapon able to hit 3k affinity. Specifically, they can max it out instantly at level 35. This allows you to spec a secondary stat earlier than others, if you intend to go down this path.

However, you do lose out on bow damage, and you can't keep up super-high affinity maga stacking forever, as they are not as good as skill damage maga.

I'm not really sure what else you would like to know, so feel free to post any specific questions, and I'll be sure to answer them.
SupremeTentacle

Postby Delacroix » 01 Jul 2014, 09:34

Wow, that was a pretty clear info. Thank you, I've learnt a lot. So , Archers are great as soloing.. no surprise there.

SupremeTentacle wrote:

Twin swords is actually really squishy.

I didn't quite get what this means. Is it harder to play as them? And, I do want to go down a path that allows me to spec up a secondary stat. I've been told that I should wait out till I'm level 40 before I even try it. Suppose if i want to spec up my Wis ( kinda mage route) will there be any benefits if i start doing it at level 35 as a twin-blade rogue? Or would that just mess up my character? Sorry, if my questions seem really foolish, I wouldn't want to be in a high level and then realize i've messed up my char lol.
Delacroix

Postby SupremeTentacle » 01 Jul 2014, 09:39

Delacroix wrote:I didn't quite get what this means. Is it harder to play as them? And, I do want to go down a path that allows me to spec up a secondary stat. I've been told that I should wait out till I'm level 40 before I even try it. Suppose if i want to spec up my Wis ( kinda mage route) will there be any benefits if i start doing it at level 35 as a twin-blade rogue? Or would that just mess up my character? Sorry, if my questions seem really foolish, I wouldn't want to be in a high level and then realize i've messed up my char lol.

Squishy means that they are very lacking in HP and defence. Well, bows are the same, but they are more safe since they play from a longer range. It is kind of harder to play twins, but in exchange, they have one of the better basic attacks.

The basic attack is fast fast, and it also does somewhat decent damage... not that you'll be using mainly basic attacks for long. The problem lies in the fact that twin swords high damage skills keep you immobile for a while to really dish out the dps (but you can cancel and roll). So in short, it takes decent reaction time and good reflexes, even more so than power based weapons because at least those people have a higher chance of surviving a hit.

The benefits... well, secondary stats do provide you with a significant amount of boosts, but you shouldn't be expecting to be able to use the weapon for a long time. You won't have scaled-in mage damage until like level 70+ if you start speccing wisdom later.

But again, your twin swords damage will start to get gimped from the lack of dex once you switch out your affinity maga for skill force maga. (In general, skill force magatama provides more damage than affinity magatama, even if the skill force % is lower.)

To be specific, putting your stats points in wisdom provides: Maximum SP pool/SP regen, as well as 1 spell cast speed/8 points, and 1 critical rate/24 points.

Stacking more dex provides you with: 1 Cooldown/10 pts, more twin/bow affinity (damage), an unknown amount of critical damage, 1 crit rate per 12 points.

Honestly, I'd say that you can put in a little bit at that level. You won't be messing up your character, regardless of what you do, since most people spec wisdom at later levels for cast speed regardless. But what you will be doing is making the rest of the game harder for yourself, proportionally to the amount of points that you put into your secondary status. (Until you scale in with your secondary stat.)

This is because affinity scales in a non-linear fashion, providing increasing returns for more invested points.

Edit

The reason that wisdom builds are not as great early on is because of the insane sp costs that skills require. Specifically for wands and staves, sp cost scales down with Wisdom. Check the wiki for more detailed information, including a chart that shows the amount of cost reduction that each wisdom threshold provides.
SupremeTentacle

Postby Delacroix » 01 Jul 2014, 09:53

SupremeTentacle wrote:Squishy means that they are very lacking in HP and defence. Well, bows are the same, but they are more safe since they play from a longer range. It is kind of harder to play twins, but in exchange, they have one of the better basic attacks.

The basic attack is fast fast, and it also does somewhat decent damage... not that you'll be using mainly basic attacks for long. The problem lies in the fact that twin swords high damage skill keep you immobile for a while to really dish out the dps (but you can cancel and roll). So in short, it takes decent reaction time and good reflexes, even more so than power based weapons because at least those people have a higher chance of surviving a hit.

The benefits... well, secondary stats do provide you with a significant amount of boosts, but you shouldn't be expecting to be able to use the weapon for a long time. You won't have scaled-in mage damage until like level 70+ if you start speccing wisdom later.

But again, your twin swords damage will start to get gimped from the lack of dex once you switch out your affinity maga for skill force maga. (In general, skill force magatama provides more damage than affinity magatama, even if the skill force % is lower.)

To be specific, putting your stats points in wisdom provides: Maximum SP pool/SP regen, as well as 1 spell cast speed/8 points, and 1 critical rate/24 points.

Stacking more dex provides you with: 1 Cooldown/10 pts, more twin/bow affinity (damage), an unknown amount of critical damage, 1 crit rate per 12 points.

Honestly, I'd say that you can put in a little bit at that level. You won't be messing up your character, regardless of what you do, since most people spec wisdom at later levels for cast speed regardless. But what you will be doing is making the rest of the game harder for yourself, proportionally to the amount of points that you put into your secondary status.

This is because affinity scales in a non-linear fashion, providing increasing returns for more invested points.

Got, it.. I'll think twice before experimenting with that. I guess by the time I hit the level I'll develop enough sense to know what's better for the character anyways. But, thanks this was really helpful.

So, a Twin-blade ninja with the low def and HP combined with the game's reputation for it's difficulty makes it more like DMC 3 meets Dark Souls.. ouch. I normally always prefer close-combat chars but you're making me reconsider that decision now lol.

Thanks again!
Delacroix

PreviousNext

Return to Guides & Strategy