[GUIDE]How to build you character

Post helpful information for other players here.

Re: [GUIDE]How to build you character

Postby Otonashi » 22 Jun 2014, 03:56

WulfenKnight wrote:
SupremeTentacle wrote:It does not add any damage to any other weapon types.

^--Is wrong. As it says in my guide it also adds too spear damage i have screenshots too prove it. AT the same rate it adds too twin swords and bow.

I just tested and this is true. Pow adds 9 affinity to all weapons but Wand and Staff every 10 points, and 7 per point to Axe, Katana and Odachi. Edit: Seems to add 12 at 20 Pow. Edit2: Formula for this appears to be (9 + 1.5(Pow / 10)(Pow / 10 - 1)) Bow, Spear & Twin Blade Affinity per 10 Points. Normal Affinity seems to use a much more complicated formula.

WulfenKnight wrote:
SupremeTentacle wrote:You've pretty much admitted that you don't know what stats give what based on the fact that you believe power grants overall damage, implying that you don't understand ideal builds.

Ok... What are you saying now?, that Power doesn't give damage primarily too Katana,Long Sword,Axe?? And every 10 points too Twin Swords, Bow, Spear?!? Or is it that you haven't read my guide since CBT has ended?... And how don't i understand "Ideal Builds" When we've been saying almost the exact same thing... ._. Honestly this is getting monotonous and pointless.

I don't believe this is made clear in your guide. For example,
WulfenKnight wrote:And of course you can mix and match stuff however you want. like you can have a katana and heal!...might be squishy without some Vit tho. But you'll heal less and do less dmg then others. So really depends on how you like to play and what not and i don't have a clue how this'll affect stuff later when the game releases and if people make Hybrids, Especially if they add PvP

Implies that you would want Pow, Mnd, and Vit, and considering the average level of people in the CBT, all these would be added before lv30. You normally want at least 50-60 of your primary stat before adding another, as the "efficiency" of the cost/stat growth peaks around that point. Hence I agree with Supreme, you should only focus on one stat at a time. Of course, there are special thresholds like every 10/30 Pow, every 12 Dex, every 10 Wis for Wand / Staff users and so on, which you may want to achieve earlier.

WulfenKnight wrote:@Fenrir
Not too be rude but I'm not gonna bother explaining stuff anymore, " SupremeTentacle " seems too "Mostly" have it covered. except he seems too think stats give less then what they do at times. where some have said they give more then what they do(Those who say more. played the JP version and stuff is different in EN Atleast in the un-released version "Example JP guide said 1 power or vit point gave 12HP?? o=O")

Sorry, both you and the JP guide are incorrect here. Pow and Vit give HP that scales with levels. For example, 1 Vit is equal to approximately 0.5HP at level 1, but is equal to 5HP at level 40. I don't have screenshots right now, but I'm sure that the HP difference between Vit builds and other builds like Dex or Wis at lv50 is enough to convince you.

@Fenrir
Sorry about the confusion, I believe you should try the game for yourself and not worry about the discussion in this thread. As of now, I don't believe that any information on Onigiri mechanics is 100% reliable, especially our wiki. I can, however, assure that focusing on one stat and learning how to use a weapon of that stat primarily is the best method for advancing in the early stages of the game. Apart from your main stat, defensive (Pow, Vit) stats simply don't add much since the HP they add early on is pitiful, SP providing stats (Wis, Mnd) don't help your mana issues either since the damage output usually offsets the increased mana as you take less hits to kill, and Critical (Dex) scales better with higher damage.
Last edited by Otonashi on 22 Jun 2014, 05:26, edited 1 time in total.
  僕    甘    真    柔
  ら       い    っ       わ
  は   絶     白    ら
  い    望     い     か
  る     の   ︑      い
︒     中                     ︑
                   に
                  ︑
Otonashi

Postby WulfenKnight » 22 Jun 2014, 04:58

Otonashi wrote:
WulfenKnight wrote:
SupremeTentacle wrote:It does not add any damage to any other weapon types.

^--Is wrong. As it says in my guide it also adds too spear damage i have screenshots too prove it. AT the same rate it adds too twin swords and bow.

I just tested and this is true. Pow adds 9 affinity to all weapons but Wand and Staff every 10 points, and 7 per point to Axe, Katana and Odachi. wikipageedited

Thanks, someone with sense & fact ._.

Otonashi wrote:
WulfenKnight wrote:
SupremeTentacle wrote:You've pretty much admitted that you don't know what stats give what based on the fact that you believe power grants overall damage, implying that you don't understand ideal builds.

Ok... What are you saying now?, that Power doesn't give damage primarily too Katana,Long Sword,Axe?? And every 10 points too Twin Swords, Bow, Spear?!? Or is it that you haven't read my guide since CBT has ended?... And how don't i understand "Ideal Builds" When we've been saying almost the exact same thing... ._. Honestly this is getting monotonous and pointless.

I don't believe this is made clear in your guide. For example,
WulfenKnight wrote:And of course you can mix and match stuff however you want. like you can have a katana and heal!...might be squishy without some Vit tho. But you'll heal less and do less dmg then others. So really depends on how you like to play and what not and i don't have a clue how this'll affect stuff later when the game releases and if people make Hybrids, Especially if they add PvP

Implies that you would want Pow, Mnd, and Vit, and considering the average level of people in the CBT, all these would be added before lv30. You normally want at least 50-60 of your primary stat before adding another, as the "efficiency" of the cost/stat growth peaks around that point. Hence I agree with Supreme, you should only focus on one stat at a time. Of course, there are special thresholds like every 10/30 Pow, every 12 Dex, every 10 Wis for Wand / Staff users and so on, which you may want to achieve earlier.

Yeah, that part is from Alpha, And i believe stuff like "Stats, EXP, Lvl" Has changed alot. So i'm slowly re-working down the guide and patching over stuff.
But you can make "Hybrid" characters, meaning more then 1 Class(Stat) on 1 character. Just depends on how it's done and how many points you get from Lv1 to Lv100(/End Game)

Otonashi wrote:
WulfenKnight wrote:@Fenrir
Not too be rude but I'm not gonna bother explaining stuff anymore, " SupremeTentacle " seems too "Mostly" have it covered. except he seems too think stats give less then what they do at times. where some have said they give more then what they do(Those who say more. played the JP version and stuff is different in EN Atleast in the un-released version "Example JP guide said 1 power or vit point gave 12HP?? o=O")

Sorry, both you and the JP guide are incorrect here. Pow and Vit give HP that scales with levels. For example, 1 Vit is equal to approximately 0.5HP at level 1, but is equal to 5HP at level 40. I don't have screenshots right now, but I'm sure that the HP difference between Vit builds and other builds like Dex or Wis at lv50 is enough to convince you.

Yeah as far as the 1 Vit = 0.5HP. it's actually more like
WulfenKnight wrote:Vit = Dmg7.2+(Spear),HP +1.2, HP Recovery +0.4(Every 3 / 2Points = 1HP Rec), Increases Physical By 6.2(Roughly) & Magical Defense By 1.8(Roughly)

Atleast in EN CBT. I Just went thru most of my ScreenShots for the stats and re-did all of them, They are pretty accurate now. Tho like you were saying about it changing from 0.5HP to 5HP Later. i'm trying too figure out if that is affected only by how many points you have on the stat or by how high lvl you are. Or if it's both. i'm gonna test that more when OBT/Release comes. Also i've found that there's a difference between when your stat starts at 2 or 7 as far as damage it gives. And perhaps with HP and other stuff aswell.

Hopefully this fixes the whole Stat confusion, Take another look at it : o
Onigiri ENG Alpha Tester IGN: WulfenKnight Lv21, Hekaru Lv30, WolfenKnight Lv11
Onigiri ENG Closed Beta Tester IGN: WulfenKnight, Hikari Lv20, Hekaru
Here's my Old Alpha Guide-->: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2069
WulfenKnight

Postby Otonashi » 22 Jun 2014, 05:42

I'm not "someone with sense & fact", I just don't want any conflict here. I would have disagreed with you had I not tested ingame before commenting.

After some testing with a lv7 char it seems that:
Only HP and SP scale with levels. SP from Wis and Mnd are unconfirmed, but do not seem to scale with levels, or scale at a negligible low rate.
Most if not all secondary stats scale with primary stats. Vit gives more defense based off your current vit and you get more Bow Affinity if you have more Dex. The scaling seems to be slow at low levels at least, but the scaling isn't linear, at least for Affinity.

WulfenKnight wrote:Yeah as far as the 1 Vit = 0.5HP. it's actually more like
WulfenKnight wrote:Vit = Dmg7.2+(Spear),HP +1.2, HP Recovery +0.4(Every 3 / 2Points = 1HP Rec), Increases Physical By 6.2(Roughly) & Magical Defense By 1.8(Roughly)

Atleast in EN CBT. I Just went thru most of my ScreenShots for the stats and re-did all of them, They are pretty accurate now. Tho like you were saying about it changing from 0.5HP to 5HP Later. i'm trying too figure out if that is affected only by how many points you have on the stat or by how high lvl you are. Or if it's both. i'm gonna test that more when OBT/Release comes. Also i've found that there's a difference between when your stat starts at 2 or 7 as far as damage it gives. And perhaps with HP and other stuff aswell.

Hopefully this fixes the whole Stat confusion, Take another look at it : o

I was referring to the HP from Vit as opposed to all the stats, to make the point that HP scales with level. In other words, I don't like how you said that EN and JP are different in this regard.
  僕    甘    真    柔
  ら       い    っ       わ
  は   絶     白    ら
  い    望     い     か
  る     の   ︑      い
                   に
                  ︑
Otonashi

Postby SupremeTentacle » 22 Jun 2014, 10:05

Oh, it looks like I when I tested for something other than bow and T/S I didn't add enough power to break the 10 threshhold, or I already had 3k affinity. Probably the second one. Regardless, this means that after you've reached the affinity cap, adding power, or any other stat that boosts affinity based damage is absolutely pointless, so regardless, the amount is insignificant.

You don't understand ideal builds because you're recommending people split stats at low levels, which is asking newbies to cut off their own legs. Hybrid characters do not work well at level 1-40, unless its a 35+ twin swords, in which case they should have max affinity already and be going for their second stat.
Selling all of my gear for ~40% of its market value!
~4 lv. 108 to 115 weapons remaining
Some skill card 7's, ougi, orna'd maga and other stuff too!
SupremeTentacle

Postby WulfenKnight » 24 Jun 2014, 11:31

@Otonashi
That's not exactly what i ment by how stuff changes when you lvl up, i'll test it when the next release comes out tho.
And rather you like it or not doesn't matter(As far as EN being different from JP). not that i was really directing it specifically towards the HP & SP Anyways. i was more so talking about ALL of the stats, Cause if onigiri is like most games(which it seems too be) things change. Like if we just focused on the JP version. Ok it starts in Alpha then goes too CBT. They decide too change what stats do, they add some things make some stats give more or less etc. And in OBT they may change it again and in Release They could once again. As far as Alpha to CBT it seems like they have changed it some. Now if you compare the EN version too the JP version of course they will be different if the above is true. Because the EN version is behind JP, Then it may also be different if they decide to make things abit different in the EN version then the JP version. look at Aika there was "Aika Online", "Aika Global", "Aika NA/International" and there were several things different in each version. but in this case CS owns both EN and JP from the looks of it or they are connected. So i don't really know how it will be.

@ST
There is a difference in Recommending something to someone and telling them they "CAN" do something. And yes i do understand an ideal build, Where why have 1 slice of pie(using only a spear) when you can have 2 later(being able too heal aswell)?
And i can run rather far and fast with my legs chopped off, So idk what your talkin about. i ended up splitting my stats 3-4 ways during CBT for stat testing purposes and i still did rather well, Sure i "NORMALLY" played in a full party. But i could(And Did later on) solo dungeons aswell in about 5-6 minutes on normal and 7-8 on hard.
Onigiri ENG Alpha Tester IGN: WulfenKnight Lv21, Hekaru Lv30, WolfenKnight Lv11
Onigiri ENG Closed Beta Tester IGN: WulfenKnight, Hikari Lv20, Hekaru
Here's my Old Alpha Guide-->: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2069
WulfenKnight

Postby Otonashi » 24 Jun 2014, 15:55

WulfenKnight wrote:@Otonashi
That's not exactly what i ment by how stuff changes when you lvl up, i'll test it when the next release comes out tho.
And rather you like it or not doesn't matter(As far as EN being different from JP). not that i was really directing it specifically towards the HP & SP Anyways. i was more so talking about ALL of the stats, Cause if onigiri is like most games(which it seems too be) things change. Like if we just focused on the JP version. Ok it starts in Alpha then goes too CBT. They decide too change what stats do, they add some things make some stats give more or less etc. And in OBT they may change it again and in Release They could once again. As far as Alpha to CBT it seems like they have changed it some. Now if you compare the EN version too the JP version of course they will be different if the above is true. Because the EN version is behind JP, Then it may also be different if they decide to make things abit different in the EN version then the JP version. look at Aika there was "Aika Online", "Aika Global", "Aika NA/International" and there were several things different in each version. but in this case CS owns both EN and JP from the looks of it or they are connected. So i don't really know how it will be.

I agree that there may be differences between the EN and JP versions, however I know for certain that only HP and SP scale with level whereas the rest are only affected by the amount of the main stat that you have. Until I am shown otherwise, I will continue to assume that both versions are the same and HP and SP are the only stats affected by level. I have an example to show that we are at least on par with JP's 23rd Jan 2014 update. JP Wiki, compare Goblin Magatama (小鬼の勾玉) and our EN Wiki Goblin Magatama, the JP version was updated then to cost 11 Chakra instead of 1. The defenses are different due to the difference in rarity.

WulfenKnight wrote:@ST
There is a difference in Recommending something to someone and telling them they "CAN" do something. And yes i do understand an ideal build, Where why have 1 slice of pie(using only a spear) when you can have 2 later(being able too heal aswell)?
And i can run rather far and fast with my legs chopped off, So idk what your talkin about. i ended up splitting my stats 3-4 ways during CBT for stat testing purposes and i still did rather well, Sure i "NORMALLY" played in a full party. But i could(And Did later on) solo dungeons aswell in about 5-6 minutes on normal and 7-8 on hard.

You're not understanding his argument. At early levels it's not wise to hybridize since the amount of spear affinity you get from 2-3 points of Vit outweighs the benefits of adding any other stat. Between a character with 40 Vit and 40 Pow and one with 50 Vit and 10 Pow, the one with 50 Vit will have approximately 82 more affinity than the one with stats split equally, after accounting bonuses from Pow. You might not think that 82 is a lot, but at the level which you can get these level of stats (approximately 30), weapons give 400 damage at higher enhancement levels (40-50) and the 50 Vit build has approximately 420 Affinity, meaning that the 82 affinity contributes 10% of the damage that the Vit build does, and 25% of the damage that it provides. Normally you might think that having access to Pow weapons has its advantages and it might, however in this case apart from different attack styles having 4 Spears would be more efficient than having 1 Katana, 1 Odachi, 1 Axe and 1 Spear seeing as not maxing out Pow (40 Pow 40 Vit as opposed to 50 Pow 10 Vit) means that your Pow weapons won't do as much as your Spear, and Spears have a much stronger block ability than any Pow weapon, making focusing on Vit and Spears more effective (or Pow and Katana / Odachi / Axe)

You can split your stats equally, no one will stop you, it's just that it's recommended to focus on a single stat and it's corresponding weapons so that your weapons are as strong as they can be, in order to clear dungeons quickly, meaning you clear content quicker and grind quicker. Naturally there comes a point (67, 70, 74 Points) where adding that stat becomes less efficient, after which you can choose to split points into other stats like Pow for a mix of HP and damage, Vit for more HP, Wis if you're using a staff and want to use spells without needing to block to regenerate, Mnd for more sustainability, or Dex for more critical damage, or continue adding whatever you were adding before for more non-critical damage.

SupremeTentacle wrote:You don't understand ideal builds because you're recommending people split stats at low levels, which is asking newbies to cut off their own legs. Hybrid characters do not work well at level 1-40, unless its a 35+ twin swords, in which case they should have max affinity already and be going for their second stat.

He never said you shouldn't split your status points between the stats, just that it isn't efficient to do so early on.
  僕    甘    真    柔
  ら       い    っ       わ
  は   絶     白    ら
  い    望     い     か
  る     の   ︑      い
                   に
                  ︑
Otonashi

Postby Delacroix » 29 Jun 2014, 09:14

Pardon me if this post reeks of noobishness but i've just registered and have looked around a few topics. Haven't read them extensively but i got the basic gist i suppose. About the hybrid build. I'm a bit torn apart on being a mage or Rogue ( I normally always choose rogues in all my other games, but mages are downright badasses with and really good with soloing missions which is sort of what i want. ).

So here now, so if i take a Cautious type and pump up my Wis and dex, could i make a hybrid Rogue mage? Can i have the best of both worlds or is it better to just stick to one line?

I like to experiment with my characters and if I have to stick to a formula or raising them then the game gets mundane fast. So, any help would be welcome.. Thanks in advance :D
Delacroix

Postby StingEucliffe » 30 Jun 2014, 18:20

Delacroix wrote:Pardon me if this post reeks of noobishness but i've just registered and have looked around a few topics. Haven't read them extensively but i got the basic gist i suppose. About the hybrid build. I'm a bit torn apart on being a mage or Rogue ( I normally always choose rogues in all my other games, but mages are downright badasses with and really good with soloing missions which is sort of what i want. ).

So here now, so if i take a Cautious type and pump up my Wis and dex, could i make a hybrid Rogue mage? Can i have the best of both worlds or is it better to just stick to one line?

I like to experiment with my characters and if I have to stick to a formula or raising them then the game gets mundane fast. So, any help would be welcome.. Thanks in advance :D

That's when you have to decide if you want to focus on being a "mage" or a "rogue" in the early stages in the game. To basically translate all of the statistical/technical jargon; put your attention on ONE stat group until you reach level 40 or more clearly until you have around 60-75 points in one area (not counting bonuses) and then branch out to other stat groups if you wish.
StingEucliffe

Postby Lazgrane » 01 Jul 2014, 03:11

Delacroix wrote:Pardon me if this post reeks of noobishness but i've just registered and have looked around a few topics. Haven't read them extensively but i got the basic gist i suppose. About the hybrid build. I'm a bit torn apart on being a mage or Rogue ( I normally always choose rogues in all my other games, but mages are downright badasses with and really good with soloing missions which is sort of what i want. ).

I won't recommend you that. I can write a paragraph of why put points in 2 offensive stats is bad.

But I'm just telling you to up either wis or dex, not both.

Btw Remind you that all skills have a stat requirement at which you can use it effectively. For now I'm speculating that requirement is skill rank x 10
Lazgrane

Postby Otonashi » 01 Jul 2014, 03:45

Lazgrane wrote:Btw Remind you that all skills have a stat requirement at which you can use it effectively. For now I'm speculating that requirement is skill rank x 10

Incorrect. Only Staff Skills suffer from the stat requirement, which is indeed rank*10.

Just as the rest have said, early on it's better to add only the stat that increases the Affinity of your primary weapon, and only hybridize at a later stage. Sting is correct that the optimal time to start adding another stat is around 60-75, or more accurately 66, 69, 73, or 76 as these are the points before an increase in the cost of adding the stat. Naturally, you want to hit the Affinity cap (3k) through Magatama (or eventually just through pure stats, since Skill Force Magatama is largely superior) somewhere around here as well, if possible.
  僕    甘    真    柔
  ら       い    っ       わ
  は   絶     白    ら
  い    望     い     か
  る     の   ︑      い
                   に
                  ︑
Otonashi

PreviousNext

Return to Guides & Strategy