[Guide] Spear Overview

Post helpful information for other players here.

Re: [Guide] Spear Overview

Postby Lifariz » 04 Jul 2014, 19:41

Plasism wrote:3 questions.

- At how much Vit would u suggest to start putting points into a secondary stat?

- A spear user should only choose between mind OR dex for a secondary stat? Not say put a few points into mind and rest into dex?

- To confirm, a Mind-based secondary stat would make spear users more tanky and can spam skills more, while Dex-based secondary stat would allow spear users to deal more damage with crits?

1. It depends on what final build you want. Do you want a brick wall or tank with decent damage? Affinity caps at 3k with bonuses so it's best to stop adding stats when you reach 3k affinity with minimal affinity boosts which is true for all weapon class. So after you reach 3k affinity you're just adding for the extra pdef and hp.

2. 3rd stating isn't very viable, since you can just compensate with mags.

3. I guess? I'm not a dex user so I'm not familiar with dex bonuses. Most people go for mnd though.

Btw, using the anti-crit mag is a life saver.
IGN: Lifariz
Weapon Class: Odachi, Buffing Staff

Please, when you enter Kaga onwards, at least be able to cast invig IV/V/VI when you decide to leech. Please and Thank you.
Lifariz

Postby Blanc » 05 Jul 2014, 05:36

Plasism wrote:- At how much Vit would u suggest to start putting points into a secondary stat?

Next time, read through the meager 3 pages of contents before asking. Anyway, for convenience sake I've copy-pasted my reply to a similar question.

There will come a time when adding your main stat becomes a tee bit inefficient.
http://onigiri.wikia.com/wiki/Stats

Referring to the "Status Points required to increase stat" table on the Onigiri wiki, you can see that at certain levels, the number of stat points needed to increase your main stat grows at a stupidly high rate. Around stat level 70-74-ish, the number of stat points needed to increase your VIT goes up by one after 4 levels. However, after that the stat point needed increases by one every 3 levels, and that quickly becomes 2 levels. At this point it starts to become inefficient to continue adding your main stat. This is where you start to consider adding a secondary stat. Exactly what point you start to do so depends on your own decision, but make sure you stop at the point where the stat point needed goes up by one for maximum efficiency.

However, as a spear user, your main stat is VIT, and unlike a lot of other stats, VIT is always welcome, so feel free to add VIT until it is maxed out before you start adding a secondary stat.

Plasism wrote:- A spear user should only choose between mind OR dex for a secondary stat? Not say put a few points into mind and rest into dex?

Entirely up to you. A 3rd stat is highly discouraged, but you could also add MND up to a certain point and add the rest to DEX, or vice versa. It's up to you how much tank and damage you want to balance.

Plasism wrote:- To confirm, a Mind-based secondary stat would make spear users more tanky and can spam skills more, while Dex-based secondary stat would allow spear users to deal more damage with crits?

Yes. A DEX based secondary character can spam skills too, but you'd need the help of SP restoring sushi. If you want to be a hero and rely on your dodging skills, go straight for DEX.
Dummy's Guide to a Spear here.
Dummy's Guide to smelting and not running out of money while getting high ranked skills on your weapon here.
Blanc

Postby montiblanc » 08 Jul 2014, 19:51

thanks your guide is helping me a lot as i go down the road of 2 vit 1 mnd
montiblanc

Postby Blanc » 08 Jul 2014, 20:53

montiblanc wrote:thanks your guide is helping me a lot as i go down the road of 2 vit 1 mnd

Don't go 2 VIT 1MND. The mana regen and mdef from MND can be gotten from SP potions and Magatama, respectively. Besides, what you should be trying to do is to kill enemies without getting hit, so usually forgoing defense and focusing on damage is the way to go. It just so happens that your main damage stat is also a defensive stat (VIT).
Dummy's Guide to smelting and not running out of money while getting high ranked skills on your weapon here.
Blanc

Postby montiblanc » 08 Jul 2014, 23:36

at what amount of mnd should i stop then? after that how much i put anything on dex?
montiblanc

Postby Velmoria » 09 Jul 2014, 02:49

There are magatama that requires POW to activates it.
There is one that requires large amount of POW (like 50?) but giving large amount of Spear affinity, some increase Spear skill force.

I do think it's nice to have POW for Spear since getting more Hp and able to swing the spear like mad, I mean faster, but low Magic defense.
Velmoria

Postby Blanc » 09 Jul 2014, 06:54

montiblanc wrote:at what amount of mnd should i stop then? after that how much i put anything on dex?

Up to you. MND is there mainly for the overall mana pool, not the mdef. Basically I'll will probably stop at around 22 or 34, since they are the points where the SP needed to level up the stat increases by 1. If you want more mdef or a larger mana pool, you can stop at the other checkpoints. Refer to the table Status Points required to increase stat at http://onigiri.wikia.com/wiki/Stats to check where the checkpoints are.

The same goes for DEX< though at that point I would probably throw everything else into DEX.

Velmoria wrote:There are magatama that requires POW to activates it.
There is one that requires large amount of POW (like 50?) but giving large amount of Spear affinity, some increase Spear skill force.

You should be able to max affinity without relying on affinity mags. Even then, skill force magatama is generally gives a larger increase in your damage output compared to affinity magatama. There is a pretty powerful magatama for us spear users called Literature Magatama. If you have more than 70% hp, your skills experience a 90% increase in skill force. This is the magatama you want.

As stated above, POW is not a stat you would want. Maybe in the future, when the level cap is raised and the affinity cap becomes 4k, you might want a bit of POW, but for now, POW is not recommended unless you want it for whatever reason.

Hope this helps.
Blanc

Postby Minato » 09 Jul 2014, 09:17

Ahriman is easier for me (as a spear user) if you just go right up to him and block.

None of his attacks will do much damage then, all you'd have to do is
use a skill -> block -> wait for him to attack -> use a skill again -> block, then repeat.

Benkei is even easier, for any class really.. just go hide behind any of the large pillars to the sides and hit him through it. You can hit him through it but his projectiles won't go through the pillars. He can hit you with melee if you're close enough to the pillar though, but it's still really easy to kill him this way.
forgotten riceballs
EN: Makoto
JP: Minato
Minato

Postby montiblanc » 09 Jul 2014, 14:00

so stop mnd at like 20 & stop dex at say 24, but i also notice that im getting small bonus points to my stats & i have no idea where they are coming from so maybe i can cut that back even more?

does that leave any leeway to also level wis to like 12 ?_?
montiblanc

Postby Otonashi » 09 Jul 2014, 16:25

montiblanc wrote:so stop mnd at like 20 & stop dex at say 24, but i also notice that im getting small bonus points to my stats & i have no idea where they are coming from so maybe i can cut that back even more?

does that leave any leeway to also level wis to like 12 ?_?

The idea behind 22 / 34 base Mnd is that it's a so called checkpoint where it costs less to add a point than the next point. The bonuses are irrelevant to this as they add additional Mnd and not base Mnd. You should focus on adding as much Dex as possible once your Vit is considerably high (80, 90) to improve your critical damage and chances.
  僕    甘    真    柔
  ら       い    っ       わ
  は   絶     白    ら
  い    望     い     か
  る     の   ︑      い
︒     中                     ︑
                   に
                  ︑
Otonashi

PreviousNext

Return to Guides & Strategy