{WIP}- How to Become Dominating Spear Masters

Post helpful information for other players here.

{WIP}- How to Become Dominating Spear Masters

Postby SupremeTentacle » 14 Jul 2014, 10:42

The following post is purposed as a guide for new players, detailing the mechanics behind spear gameplay, as well as addressing every little detail of the weapon type. In short, it details how you play spear, why you play spear, and because you're too fat/lazy/new to know enough about spear to come to the conclusions listed below yourself.

Disclaimer: Everything is opinion, but my opinions are right. Also, this guide is highly offensive. If you don't like to be offended, then don't read it, and don't learn h2spear. Not my problem, faggot.

Table of Contents
1.01 - Background
1.02 - (Dis)advantages of Spear
1.03 - Status point distribution
1.04 - Gearing up - How/Why/What not to do
1.05 - Tactics
1.06 - Skill Analysis
1.07 - F A Q

1.01 - Background
So what's a spear, and why does Onigiri have spears anyways? Well, to put it short, a spear is a sharp thing on a long, hard stick. It's like having a piece of glass stuck between your legs. Thus, as you can infer, rather easily, especially if you have a dirty mind, spears are based mainly on thrusting. Thus, they take [Pierce] as their main element in game. Note that your pierce stat will never be shown in game. Most spear skills have some bit of pierce on them, no matter how much that may be. The other weapon that shares a lot of pierce is bow. Unlike spears, bows are able to "fire their projectiles" several meters. But its okay, their "arrows" are smaller than your "spear", no matter how many of them that their mutated bodies may have. And hey, bigger is better right? Actually, apparently too big is bad, but the Hashihime didn't complain when I "poked" her with my 8m wood, nor when I splattered my "ice blossom" all over her face, and then ejected my water dragon all over her. I doubt she'll complain it if you do it either, she's weak to it. Dat cheating slat.

1.02 - Advantages and Disadvantages
So why would you choose spear?
- Can compensate for lack of something else
- High AOE damage
- High Balance Factor
- Extremely high skill force on non-ougi skills
- Easy to gear, even without spending cash
- Higher HP pool
- Good against large enemies
- Solid skill combos
- Can put Chian to extremely effective use
- Large range allows use even if you lag

Why not?
- Defense is a completely useless, wasted and unneeded stat.
- Vit is one of the biggest status point sinks ever, and I would never put any vit in if I was not using spear
- Relatively low single target burst
- Relatively slow skills
- You don't need to compensate for anything (But trust me, I know you do.)

Spears are a bad choice for a first character, as they give the impression that you are allowed to make a mistake in this game.

1.03 - Status Point Distribution
In general, spears will want to take a defensive character type. You will need to be defensive that you are not compensating for everything, or everyone will find out. Taking power is a complete waste of free status points at the moment, but this may change when 110 cap comes around. Probably not though.

Vit until you max out affinity. (Take spear affinity title if you're not stupid)
For those who don't know what affinity is, look for this in your status screen.

A small amount of Mind if you want to rapid storm yourself
Dex for crit rate/damage
Wisdom for more crit rate.

For the most part, you want to start adding wisdom when Dex is not as efficient for crit rate, then start adding dex again when the opposite happens. Generally, dex is more effective because you will also receive cd and crit damage.

Here is a sample build at level 90.

DO NOT RAISE ANY STATUS THAT IS NOT VITALITY UNTIL YOU HAVE EITHER MAXED OUT AFFINITY OR HAVE ENOUGH VIT TO NATURALLY MAX OUT AFFINITY IN A FEW LEVELS. IF YOU TAKE ANY OTHER STAT, YOU ARE GIMPING YOURSELF IN TERMS OF DAMAGE, AND I WILL STRANGLE YOU.

On the bright side, if I strangle you, you might die with two spears standing tall. I'm just that good at it.

In terms of specific titles, try aiming for Katou Kiyomasa, Katou Kiyomasa, or maybe Katou Kiyomasa. Unless Katou Kiyomasa is full, then tough luck. I'll update this once it does get full, with alternatives.

1.04 - Gear
Whilst leveling up, any white spear is fine, as long as you enchant it to +50. However, when you start reaching content cap area, you will want to pick up a Amanohiboko (gold), and use that instead. Why? Because its like putting a ribbon on you. You look shiny, and are slightly more appealing to the other sex. Unless you're male. Then its gross, and you should kill yourself.

Generally, +40 or +50 will do enough damage to easily carry you through the content, as long as you have the right skills on your spear and play carefully, but these are the weapons that I used, in order.

Ceder Spear
Ice Ceder Spear
Adorned Bamboo Spear
Maple Spear
Whatever the Lv. 42 white spear is
Amanohiboko

As you can see, you don't really need to switch weapons all too often, as a decently enchanted weapon will last you a long time. The very implication that you are getting a new "spear" is quite wrong and disgusting in the first place. I'm only allowed to do it because mine rot and fall off, since I'm a tentacle monster and whatnot.

Magatama will be updated later with a more detailed explanation, but the general trend is to follow what Otonashi listed in his bow guide. That is: Skill force > element > flat attack > affinity.

On a side note, the tama in magatama can be slang for balls. Yup, when you ornament, Kaguya decorates your balls. It's a shame that that's the closest you'll ever get to any action. You know what's more pathetic? You're even paying her, and she's still only barely willing to do it because you saved her life from da uhrimun in a da hood. You're a real piece of sh*t you know? No wonder you were born with a micro"spear."

Magatama Section
Literature
Learn to read, you fat, lazy PoS. You need this to compensate for the fact that you can't pass grade 3. Your skin colour is not an excuse. That said, giving you the ability to read grants you 90% skill force when above 70% hp, for all skills. Except, it eats over 60 chakra, not that you had much inner energy to begin with. You should only be able to effectively use one of these maga, but it compensates for the fact that others can effectively use their rank 6+ maga, while spear players cannot, without wasting status points on some other useless bullshit stat.

Peerlessly retarded
Junk until we get rank 6+ ougi, and more chakra. Potentially suitable for hard cashers during mid-game. (before lit)
400 Attack is not significantly large later on, and the skill force will not affect many of your skills, especially the more powerful ougi.

Gemini
There's two of you now? Good god, why did Hitler not do his job properly? (This is your generic rank 4+ skill force maga, and probably one of your core due to the low chakra cost). Your damage should skyrocket when you get enough of these.

Cancer
You want to know why you want to use this? Because you're cancerous af. In all seriousness though, unless you're wand/spear hybrid, this is a great maga, and is basically the version of gemini you want to use if you can get the chakra *0*

Chian
Lifesteal.

1.05 - Tactics and Playstyle

General - Take off your pants by mobbing the entire room.

In addition to the stripping that you basically have to do if you don't want to waste 019283912083 dura a dungeon, spear has two main playstyles. We'll refer to them as the urinal style and the toilet style.

Urinal
The urinal style is, generally, the more safe style. Creepy sh*t comes out of the toilet sometimes, ya know? Have you seen Bloody Mary? Yeah, she comes out of the toilet, not the urinal. You're safe from her here. Basically, after you complete step 1, you pull out your spear, back off a little, and start taking "water dragon" shots. But the thing is, your "spear" has multiple openings, ya know? Don't even try to pull a "I can only pee out 1 stream" on me here.
- Recommended for people without a Chian magatama, and who prefer a build with maximized damage output.

Toilet
If you miss while you're using a toilet, you deserve to be eaten alive by doges, who are then fed to mad cows. The toilet style allows you to splatter your "ice" all over whatever you want, and even draw "blossom" patterns, if you're good enough. But hey, its easy draw with your "spear", especially if you have a micro"spear". Just try it in the snow, and learn from there. The only difference is that the blossoms we draw are uhh.. not so much yellow as white. Yup. The only problem is that you may get a few splashes touching you here and there, but that's no problem, since you're a freak and you can re-absorb it back into your body. That's also why Kaguya thinks you're a futa, and is willing to ornament your "tama".
- Do not spam ice blossom unless you have a chian magatama.

The toilet style requires less positioning, and allows you to AOE in a wider area. Using a urinal allows you to shoot further forwards.

Overall, the entirety of the spear playstyle can be described in a few simple steps

Bind your enemies in the area that you wish, by circling around them.
Devastate their ranks with bullshit high damage skills.
Smile after you annihilate them.
Make excuses when you die.

Hence, in short, how to spear: BDSM

1.06 - Skills
Note: "Boss" is assuming a larger monster, Single Target assumes the average size monster
Devastation Slash
Single Target Damage: 5
Boss Damage: 5
Speed: 8
AOE Ability: 7
Cancel-able: Yes
Secondary Effects: None
Overall Rating: 6
Note: Cannot be used unless mobs are aggro'd on you, and running towards you, in which case it can be pretty effective.

Ice Blossom
Single Target Damage: 9
Boss Damage: 9
Speed: 9
AOE Ability: 9
Secondary Effects: Chance of freeze
Overall Rating: 9
Note: Insanely fast as a follow up skill
Note: Has a massive WEDGE shape at higher ranks

Intimidate
No Damage.
Speed: 4
Secondary Effects: Extreme Slow
Overall Rating: 8
Note: Should not be used if you can kill mobs easily.

Thunder Crack
Single Target Damage: 4
Boss Damage: 4
Speed: 6 (low rank), 2 (high rank)
AOE Ability: 2
Secondary Effects: Low chance of stun
Overall Rating: 4
Note: Gains a second stab at high ranks

Water Dragon Spear
Single Target Damage: 7
Boss Damage: 10
Speed: 7
AOE Ability: 10
Cancel-able: Mid-cast, but effects remain
Overall Rating: 8.5

Rolling Thunder
Single Target Damage: 8
Boss Damage: 8
Speed: 5
AOE Ability: 8
Cancel-able: Mid-cast, can be cancelled into guard
Secondary Effects: Paralyze
Additional note: Increases in size based on casts. It is also essentially a poor man's tidal wave, but should not be used unless in possession of chian magatama. Its damage also scales very well with skill level and rank, doing poorly at low ranks, but becoming one of the best skills at high ranks/levels.

Wind Thrust
Single Target Damage: 3
Boss Damage: 3
Speed: 8 (low level) 1 (high level)
AOE Ability: 2
Cancel-able: Not really
Secondary Effects: Nope.avi
Overall Rating: 2

Ougi - Eternal Thunder
Single Target Damage: 9
Boss Damage: 8
Speed: 10
AOE Ability: 8
Cancel-able: No need
Secondary Effects: Stun
Overall Rating: 8.5

Ougi - Spirit Blast
Single Target Damage: 8
Boss Damage: 10
Speed: 10
AOE Ability: 10
Cancel-able: No Need
Overall Rating: 9

Ougi - Tidal Wave
Single Target Damage: 7
Boss Damage: 7-9 (depends on if you can get under the boss)
Speed: 7
AOE Ability: 999999999

(This will be updated later with every skill, detailed analysis, and its adv/disadv)

1.07 - F A Q
Q(to fat woman): How long have you been pregnant?
A: *break into tears*
Last edited by SupremeTentacle on 08 Aug 2014, 09:53, edited 6 times in total.
Selling all of my gear for ~40% of its market value!
~4 lv. 108 to 115 weapons remaining
Some skill card 7's, ougi, orna'd maga and other stuff too!
SupremeTentacle

Re: {WIP}- How to Become Dominating Spear Masters

Postby Lifariz » 14 Jul 2014, 16:08

Go home Rhym, you're drunk!

On another note, wasn't the lvl42 normal spear the Red Lacquer Spear? I honestly do not remember it myself. :v
IGN: Lifariz
Weapon Class: Odachi, Buffing Staff

Please, when you enter Kaga onwards, at least be able to cast invig IV/V/VI when you decide to leech. Please and Thank you.
Lifariz

Postby SupremeTentacle » 14 Jul 2014, 16:29

Lifariz wrote:Go home Rhym, you're drunk!

On another note, wasn't the lvl42 normal spear the Red Lacquer Spear? I honestly do not remember it myself. :v

I think that was 37 or 5x

One of the two.
SupremeTentacle

Postby HinagikuKatsura » 14 Jul 2014, 17:29

SupremeTentacle wrote:1.06 - Skills
As far as I'm concerned, only 3 skills exist.

1. Devastation Slash
2. Ice Blossom
3. Water Dragon Spear

The rest are trash.

I kinda wanna add/replace Devastation Slash with Thunder Crack (esp when complemented with a good skill force magatama ex: Gemini), good for farming and as a backup skill for Water Dragon Spear. :) *just my opinion*
HinagikuKatsura

Postby SupremeTentacle » 15 Jul 2014, 00:07

HinagikuKatsura wrote:
SupremeTentacle wrote:1.06 - Skills
As far as I'm concerned, only 3 skills exist.

1. Devastation Slash
2. Ice Blossom
3. Water Dragon Spear

The rest are trash.

I kinda wanna add/replace Devastation Slash with Thunder Crack (esp when complemented with a good skill force magatama ex: Gemini), good for farming and as a backup skill for Water Dragon Spear. :) *just my opinion*

Higher ranked thunder crack is crap because it is multiple stabs.

Higher ranked devastation slash just keeps getting better.
SupremeTentacle

Postby HinagikuKatsura » 15 Jul 2014, 00:34

Ooooh. okay! ^^

I can't wait for you to update the magatama section. Good luck! :)
HinagikuKatsura

Postby ogre » 15 Jul 2014, 05:45

i hate this person

and everything wish come from his mouth smell
ogre

Postby RushSykes » 15 Jul 2014, 11:09

can someone tell me how to get chian magatama? :D :D :D
RushSykes

Postby Rufei » 15 Jul 2014, 11:35

Personally I'm loving Intimidate. Useful in a lot of situations for teamplay.
Rufei: Lv 7x (VIT/POW Spear/Axe)
Rufei

Postby SupremeTentacle » 15 Jul 2014, 12:26

Rufei wrote:Personally I'm loving Intimidate. Useful in a lot of situations for teamplay.

That's definitely true, as it has the highest utility of anything, ever. Intimidate is great, but I believe that in the current meta, since we are capped at Kaga, it is not as relevant as it would be when we're allowed into higher level areas.
SupremeTentacle

Next

Return to Guides & Strategy