{WIP}- How to Become Dominating Spear Masters

Post helpful information for other players here.

Re: {WIP}- How to Become Dominating Spear Masters

Postby Gavrill » 17 Jul 2014, 02:14

I think the lvl 42 spear was Aburahinoki
Gavrill

Postby Gylthas » 19 Jul 2014, 10:51

I'm using a Power type (class), but going with spear, can i still do good, going that way?
Gylthas

Postby SupremeTentacle » 19 Jul 2014, 12:42

You can, but you'd be better off using defensive. This helps slightly with the sp problems spears often face. Unfortunately, in my opinion, only three character types exist, as I fail to see any real advantage to using the power character type or kind type at end game. (However, they could provide small early game advantages. For example, power lets you have slightly more hp and potentially a very small amount of spear affinity over those that chose the reliable, at certain levels. However, this advantage is very, very minuscule, and will be heavily outweighed by the advantages of choosing another character type.)

One of the underlying problems with the strong/power type is that it has dex as its lowest priority stat, implying you're gimping yourself on valuable crit rate.

Note that this is under the assumption that you are not planning to be an offensive staff user, in which case, kind is viable.
Selling all of my gear for ~40% of its market value!
~4 lv. 108 to 115 weapons remaining
Some skill card 7's, ougi, orna'd maga and other stuff too!
SupremeTentacle

Postby Lynneth » 19 Jul 2014, 12:48

SupremeTentacle wrote:You can, but you'd be better off using defensive. This helps slightly with the sp problems spears often face. Unfortunately, in my opinion, only three character types exist, as I fail to see any real advantage to using the power character type or kind type at end game. (However, they could provide early game advantages)

Actually SP problems is also happening to me (wand/staff) users :(.

Anyway, spear user is cool. I had a spear which has devastation slash and tried it, I think I might switch to spear :D

Yup, these three are the bread and butter of spearman :

1. Devastation Slash
2. Ice Blossom
3. Water Dragon Spear

Additional skill :
1.Intimidate-> it slows the enemies around you, and it's great!

Anyway, what usefulness is Taunt skill?
IGN : Lynneth (lv.92/Reraised as Zombies) - Looking for more exciting experience..Rather than being depressed, better just play! :D. Let's grind for teamwork.. or not? :P :). Looking for party to grind lv.90+ weapon. Whisp me IGN!-In hiatus for 2 days-
Lynneth

Postby SupremeTentacle » 19 Jul 2014, 12:54

Taunt is crap at the moment.

It seems like its supposed to be used to steal aggro from a team mate, but, with the current meta, its completely unneeded. While I haven't tested it in detail, it seems that it also has a percentage success rate, implying that it fails quite often. Its also slow, and has minuscule range.

Intimidate is a much, much better alternative.
SupremeTentacle

Postby Gylthas » 19 Jul 2014, 16:24

Only if i knew this when i started playing....

Now i'm lvl 44, and i don't really have a lot of time to play, so i will stay as i am with this char. I will lose some crit and sp, but i think i will still manage through the game.
Gylthas

Postby Sadako » 19 Jul 2014, 23:33

I don't quite understand about "Getting a spear affinity title" if that will be good or bad. Coz' I hear some people to not to get spear affinity title... I like also to see good titles for spears in this guide...
IGN: Sadako Yamamura
Sadako

Postby SupremeTentacle » 20 Jul 2014, 10:21

Sadako wrote:I don't quite understand about "Getting a spear affinity title" if that will be good or bad. Coz' I hear some people to not to get spear affinity title... I like also to see good titles for spears in this guide...

Not getting one is simply stupid.

They provide insane affinity bonuses, up to 40/50%.
SupremeTentacle

Postby Rufei » 20 Jul 2014, 22:59

Gylthas wrote:I'm using a Power type (class), but going with spear, can i still do good, going that way?

Personally I'm a VIT build now growing into POW and I'll put it this way - it's going to be an entirely stylistic choice. There are some magatamas that help develop affinity between the two as a hybrid option, but the end result is that your DPS is going to be lower if you focus both POW and VIT, barring a few edge cases (Monkfish upping water affinity, boosting WDS, and Crane upping mountain affinity, boosting that odachi Sand attack).

Here's a view of what I'm talking about (note, I'm level 60). With the magatama I have, I can achieve max affinity considerably earlier than if I were to trade out the magatama. There's also the magatama series that boost Odachi affinity if you have enough VIT. This is where going hybrid shines - you can avoid allocating skill points into the 80s and beyond. However, I have to allocate that magatama slot to affinity, whereas everyone else is putting on skill force magatamas and calling it a day.

You have to look for edge cases and abuse them. (This is the practice of min/maxing.) For me, there's not only a magatama for affinity both ways, there's also a magatama that boosts rank 9+ spear skills by ~+90% skill force if you have POW 50+. Extremely conditional in that case since you'll have to pray for a rank 9 skill, but it also is more chakra efficient (and in general hybrid magatamas are more efficient), meaning that I can use a single high chakra magatama for say, having a very high defense.

In any case, the end result is that you're going to be pulling your hair trying to keep your damage within the same ballpark as everyone else who is focusing on skill force, just so that you can wield POW and VIT weapons at the same time (in my case, just odachis and spears).
Rufei: Lv 7x (VIT/POW Spear/Axe)
Rufei

Postby Lynneth » 25 Jul 2014, 01:16

SupremeTentacle wrote:
Sadako wrote:I don't quite understand about "Getting a spear affinity title" if that will be good or bad. Coz' I hear some people to not to get spear affinity title... I like also to see good titles for spears in this guide...

Not getting one is simply stupid.

They provide insane affinity bonuses, up to 40/50%.

Heya, how do you do Rhy? I have 2nd character to go full VIT as spear. Need your help !. If you want extra SP/Buffs and healing call me ingame :D (The same name as in forum/ingame).
IGN : Lynneth (lv.92/Reraised as Zombies) - Looking for more exciting experience..Rather than being depressed, better just play! :D. Let's grind for teamwork.. or not? :P :). Looking for party to grind lv.90+ weapon. Whisp me IGN!-In hiatus for 2 days-
Lynneth

PreviousNext

Return to Guides & Strategy