[WIP]Mariah's Guide to becoming a Magical girl (or guy)

Post helpful information for other players here.

Re: [WIP]Mariah's Guide to becoming a Magical girl (or guy)

Postby frostMoon » 25 Jul 2014, 09:13

First of all, thanks to the creator for creating this helpful guide.
As for Ougis:
Dark Gate: awkward skill..not that high damage, and somewhat weird to aim.
Crimson Ray: actually pretty decent due to having significantly higher range than the pillar spells, while having a relatively low cost for an ougi (a bit more than 200sp, keep in mind that wis reduces wand skills sp consumption)
Fuujin/Raijin Circle: probably the best one. Personally I didn't get lucky enough to use it myself, but I've seen others use it to great effect.
My chars:
Shinrei lvl. 70 - Daring, Axe
Yukihina lvl. 60 - Cautious, Wand
Anjou lvl. 52 - Defensive, Staff
frostMoon

Postby Lynneth » 26 Jul 2014, 02:16

frostMoon wrote:First of all, thanks to the creator for creating this helpful guide.
As for Ougis:
Crimson Ray: actually pretty decent due to having significantly higher range than the pillar spells, while having a relatively low cost for an ougi (a bit more than 200sp, keep in mind that wis reduces wand skills sp consumption)
Fuujin/Raijin Circle: probably the best one. Personally I didn't get lucky enough to use it myself, but I've seen others use it to great effect.

I don't recommend beginner using mage though.. in Onigiri without Ougis, mage is one of the worst class. One point of it is the inability to cast freely the target and ground target (it's fixed in front of the caster which is bad, since the camera system of Onigiri is also one of the worst). Especially, the AOE spells and the spells enchantment is quite long, interruptible by enemies (lost SP, HP and possibility of dying).
Big spells also cost A LOT OF SP which means, in order to evoke a good AOE skills.

On the other hand, all the melee class and non-magical class in Onigiri is superb and ok I think :D
IGN : Lynneth (lv.92/Reraised as Zombies) - Looking for more exciting experience..Rather than being depressed, better just play! :D. Let's grind for teamwork.. or not? :P :). Looking for party to grind lv.90+ weapon. Whisp me IGN!-In hiatus for 2 days-
Lynneth

Postby Hisashiburi » 26 Jul 2014, 03:21

Lynneth wrote:I don't recommend beginner using mage though.. in Onigiri without Ougis, mage is one of the worst class. One point of it is the inability to cast freely the target and ground target (it's fixed in front of the caster which is bad, since the camera system of Onigiri is also one of the worst). Especially, the AOE spells and the spells enchantment is quite long, interruptible by enemies (lost SP, HP and possibility of dying).
Big spells also cost A LOT OF SP which means, in order to evoke a good AOE skills.

On the other hand, all the melee class and non-magical class in Onigiri is superb and ok I think :D

Let's agree to disagree. Well, it's true mage is one of the worst class...at low level. This job is a late bloomer.
You'll enjoy the full benefit of this job on higher lvl.
About the big spells, like i said, you'll have at least 100 total wisdom soon or later, which means 100 SP reduction, so it wont be any problem with SP.
But still, this thread are made so new player know what mage is (and ofc staff :lol: ), the pros and cons, etc.
Up until now, it's still fun playing mage (hybrid mage/staff now). Solo, no leeching, no seclude, and still manage to reach 6x ;)
Hisashiburi

Postby frostMoon » 26 Jul 2014, 04:02

Lynneth wrote:
frostMoon wrote:First of all, thanks to the creator for creating this helpful guide.
As for Ougis:

I don't recommend beginner using mage though.. in Onigiri without Ougis, mage is one of the worst class. One point of it is the inability to cast freely the target and ground target (it's fixed in front of the caster which is bad, since the camera system of Onigiri is also one of the worst). Especially, the AOE spells and the spells enchantment is quite long, interruptible by enemies (lost SP, HP and possibility of dying).

Yeah the main problem with mage really are spells. basically all of the mages AoE spells are only getting good from rank V or higher, which is also when they start costing a lot more SP and fireballing your way through the game if you don't have those AoE's gets a little frustrating. I don't necessarily agree on the "mage is only good with ougis"-part though. It's more like: Mage is only good with high rank spells.
My chars:
Shinrei lvl. 70 - Daring, Axe
Yukihina lvl. 60 - Cautious, Wand
Anjou lvl. 52 - Defensive, Staff
frostMoon

Postby Lynneth » 26 Jul 2014, 05:14

Hisashiburi wrote:
Lynneth wrote:I don't recommend beginner using mage though.. in Onigiri without Ougis, mage is one of the worst class. One point of it is the inability to cast freely the target and ground target (it's fixed in front of the caster which is bad, since the camera system of Onigiri is also one of the worst). Especially, the AOE spells and the spells enchantment is quite long, interruptible by enemies (lost SP, HP and possibility of dying).

Let's agree to disagree. Well, it's true mage is one of the worst class...at low level. This job is a late bloomer.
You'll enjoy the full benefit of this job on higher lvl.
About the big spells, like i said, you'll have at least 100 total wisdom soon or later, which means 100 SP reduction, so it wont be any problem with SP.
But still, this thread are made so new player know what mage is (and ofc staff :lol: ), the pros and cons, etc.
Up until now, it's still fun playing mage (hybrid mage/staff now). Solo, no leeching, no seclude, and still manage to reach 6x ;)

So, let's agree to something then. Wand users/mage are really in no way and not for light-hearted, at least need 100 WISE to make it 'works' which is you need to level it first :o :o :shock: . Even staffs has a lot less SP consumption. The SP problems actually shouldn't be a problem for mage from beginning, after all, we are magical class right? But, the problem here it is NOT. And you need to adapt/adjust the range of each spells, especially the FIXED grounded target spell.

The best magic class is I think the spear magic 'Water Dragon Spear', which at lv.5 cost only '75' with a very wide area and high damage, and instant cast, uninterruptible, wiping all the enemies in the map and has of course very high physical defense to boot since the damage is derived from VIT stat.
Compared to mage AOE lv.5 which cost 200 SP, with casting, interruptible, and suspectible to the enemies :D .
IGN : Lynneth (lv.92/Reraised as Zombies) - Looking for more exciting experience..Rather than being depressed, better just play! :D. Let's grind for teamwork.. or not? :P :). Looking for party to grind lv.90+ weapon. Whisp me IGN!-In hiatus for 2 days-
Lynneth

Postby Rufei » 26 Jul 2014, 06:18

Lynneth wrote:The best magic class is I think the spear magic 'Water Dragon Spear', which at lv.5 cost only '75' with a very wide area and high damage, and instant cast, uninterruptible, wiping all the enemies in the map and has of course very high physical defense to boot since the damage is derived from VIT stat.
Compared to mage AOE lv.5 which cost 200 SP, with casting, interruptible, and suspectible to the enemies :D .

Just as a note, defense pretty much doesn't matter. The projectiles that horned toilet paper throw at me used to do 300 damage with a blue/green stone magatama on. Now, they do 500 damage with that magatama off (and no other defensive magatamas on). WDS is also not instant cast and generally speaking Spears have issues with SP unless if they heavily invest in Wis or Mnd. For someone like me who's doing Vit/Pow, this is especially prominent.

But yes, it is still one of the most powerful mobbing skills in the game (thus far).
Rufei: Lv 7x (VIT/POW Spear/Axe)
Rufei

Postby Hisashiburi » 26 Jul 2014, 06:55

Lynneth wrote:So, let's agree to something then. Wand users/mage are really in no way and not for light-hearted, at least need 100 WISE to make it 'works' which is you need to level it first :o :o :shock: . Even staffs has a lot less SP consumption. The SP problems actually shouldn't be a problem for mage from beginning, after all, we are magical class right? But, the problem here it is NOT. And you need to adapt/adjust the range of each spells, especially the FIXED grounded target spell.

The best magic class is I think the spear magic 'Water Dragon Spear', which at lv.5 cost only '75' with a very wide area and high damage, and instant cast, uninterruptible, wiping all the enemies in the map and has of course very high physical defense to boot since the damage is derived from VIT stat.

Ahaha, your post will make new player not to choose mage if it's continue :lol:
Anyway, I know mage have big problem when low lvl, and yes you need high wisdom for high SP reduction, and you can only get it every 10 wisdom.
If at low lvl, i already can cast any skills all i want, that's gonna be awkward. I need to combine between normal combo and skills at low lvl. Different case if you party-grinding with invigorate-support, that'd be nice.
About fixed grounded target, well, idk how to respond to this one. Maybe it's better if we can cast it anywhere we want, like in our feet when we lure the mobs :lol:
if you want some spell like spear's WDS, maybe you can try call lightning or earth spike. They're pretty much like WDS in my opinion :lol:
Hisashiburi

Postby Lynneth » 26 Jul 2014, 07:52

Hisashiburi wrote:
Lynneth wrote:So, let's agree to something then. Wand users/mage are really in no way and not for light-hearted, at least need 100 WISE to make it 'works' which is you need to level it first :o :o :shock: . Even staffs has a lot less SP consumption. The SP problems actually shouldn't be a problem for mage from beginning, after all, we are magical class right? But, the problem here it is NOT. And you need to adapt/adjust the range of each spells, especially the FIXED grounded target spell.

Ahaha, your post will make new player not to choose mage if it's continue :lol:
Anyway, I know mage have big problem when low lvl, and yes you need high wisdom for high SP reduction, and you can only get it every 10 wisdom.
If at low lvl, i already can cast any skills all i want, that's gonna be awkward. I need to combine between normal combo and skills at low lvl. Different case if you party-grinding with invigorate-support, that'd be nice.
About fixed grounded target, well, idk how to respond to this one. Maybe it's better if we can cast it anywhere we want, like in our feet when we lure the mobs :lol:
if you want some spell like spear's WDS, maybe you can try call lightning or earth spike. They're pretty much like WDS in my opinion :lol:

Hisashiburi wrote: Maybe it's better if we can cast it anywhere we want, like in our feet when we lure the mobs

That's what i wanted since the beginning of World creation actually :D
I don't intend new players not to choose mage, I only share the story of myself grinding as mage from low level till now lv.39... my friends are all already lv.50++ (I'm stuck here as wand/staff, it really sucks). Well, perseverence will prevail though :p

Hmm.. Call Lightning Area of Effect is not as large as Water Dragon Spear and Earth Spike is strictly near-sighted AOE as well. I expect Mage have Storm-Gust like spells in this game, but I pretty disappointed since there's only the Raijin ougi that comes near it, and it costs a LOT of SP. Died thrice x_x

Anyway, my last achievement, SOLO Odin at lv.39 :D

Using FlameStrike and Kamaitachi only :D
Lynneth

Postby Sunnova » 26 Jul 2014, 08:03

Yeah I would also agree with mages being late bloomers due to our playstyle. At some later point in the game, you will realize defense doesn't really matter too much and it just becomes a game of "if you take damage at all". While the melee classes will have trouble soloing some bosses (since they have to be close to the boss in order to do damage), bows and wand will have an easier time (since we don't even have to be near the boss at all to hurt it). I've had no trouble fighting cerberus, deathscythe, and hades at all with the magic playstyle.

The SP drain is still a bit higher than all the other classes late game even with our SP reduction, but we can regenerate our SP back after every battle as long as you have an endless stash of wands and staffs. In the middle of battle, we just need to consume those herbal drinks.
Mariah Lune - lvl 63 wand/staff

Wand/Staff Guide - Released! being updated though...

Sunnova

Postby Takurannyan » 26 Jul 2014, 08:31

Despite of how much Mage is often called late bloomer, i only have problem with it till level 20, and then no more. Can't blame newbie for being surprise at how harsh it is at low level, but feel like the issue was made bigger than it actually is.

Ie : I actually soloed Odin with a lot more ease with Wand/Staff build at level 28, more than my full Bow at level 34. And that was with sub par equipment with no affinity mag or so wtv

And keep comparing mage to spear is like, not really a fair move, spear makes a lot of things look bad. It's not that those are bad, spear just has the easy modo in it.

On the other note, after using Dark Gate for a while, i found some usage for it which is actually quite ok if you math the distance right before casting. Sometimes still got left hanged by the weakness it has that is similar to poison cloud - aka - if the mob enter the area after the black hole has appeared , they won't get hit at all.
Takurannyan

PreviousNext

Return to Guides & Strategy