Deriving the Damage Formula

Post helpful information for other players here.

Deriving the Damage Formula

Postby Otonashi » 29 Jul 2014, 18:28

The purpose of this thread is to work out how damage is affected by each of the many variables that influence it. This is exclusive of things like Critical as it only affects the chance of applying Critical Force (probably), or Attack and Cast Speed which don't affect damage in any way. What we're interested in is:

The Player
  • Attack
  • Element
  • Skill Force
  • Critical Force
  • Rear Attack
  • Damage Coefficient
  • Additional Modifiers from Skills
Enemies
  • Defense
  • Element

Note that most if not all of these variables stack additively, in other words having two 50% Skill Force sources adds up to 200%, and not 225% of your damage without them. The game also rounds down with each addition. So, having 555 Affinity then adding two sources of 10% Affinity would put you at 665 Affinity, not 666. This is because each source adds 55 instead of 55.5, showing that the game does not sum up the percentages before adding Affinity.

Hypothesised Damage Formula wrote:k*DMG*SF*(1+SF%)*(ELECOMP1*(1+ELE1%)*(1-ENEMYELE1%)+ELECOMP2*(1+ELE2%)*(1-ENEMYELE2%))*(1+REAR%)*DMGCOEFF
If Crit: Additional (1+BASECF%+CF%)
k is an unknown constant(?) that is very small

Damage Formula based off experiments wrote:

Attack
No research done. Presumably, a x% Increase in Attack increases overall damage by x%. Acquirable through Affinity as well.

Element
Read This
Basically, skills can have multiple elements. In the scenario above, Exorcist Arrow is 50% Holy and 50% Pierce. Hence, only half of it was affected by the Pierce Element. Element affects damage by a factor of (1+x/100).

Skill Force
Read This
Factor of (1+x/100)

Critical Force
Seems to be composed of a flat component and a multiplier. It would look like
    Damage*(1+BaseExtraDamage+CritForce)+CritForceFlat
with all other variables excluded.

Rear Attack
Can be found on weapons when IDing and is presumably given by the skill "Back Attack" found on Twin Swords and Bows.

Damage Coefficient
Certain skills show a skill force for only a component of the skill. For example, Arrow Rain on Bows shows skill force for each arrow instead of the total. Some skills also do only a fraction of their skill force per hit. Is less relevant, hence I will ignore it until much later.

Additional Modifiers from Skills
Basically, stuff like Double-edged Cut which does more damage the less HP you have.

Enemies' Defense
Read This
Seems to reduce damage by a flat amount, assuming it works the same way as the defense of the player.

Element
Presumably affects damage by a factor of (1-x/100).

Sorry for a lack of formatting. If you want to contribute information, make sure to take multiple readings and post the raw data as well as analysis. Basically do standard science stuff. Make the following assumptions when testing:
  • No "Thresholds" exist. Bypassing 100 Skill Force doesn't give you an additional 50 Skill Force for no reason.
  • No variables are interdependent. Having 50 Element has the same relative effect whether you have 5000 Attack or 50000 Attack.

Here's a Google Doc to make things simple, though if it isn't sufficient or more clarification is needed, feel free to post.
  僕    甘    真    柔
  ら       い    っ       わ
  は   絶     白    ら
  い    望     い     か
  る     の   ︑      い
︒     中                     ︑
                   に
                  ︑
Otonashi

Re: Deriving the Damage Formula

Postby Omni » 29 Jul 2014, 23:43

Where are you getting this information from?
Omni

Postby Otonashi » 29 Jul 2014, 23:50

Assumptions, the two linked posts and experience.
  僕    甘    真    柔
  ら       い    っ       わ
  は   絶     白    ら
  い    望     い     か
  る     の   ︑      い
                   に
                  ︑
Otonashi

Postby Omni » 29 Jul 2014, 23:53

Yeah, I just wanted to make sure that I was reading this correctly.

Not to sound rude, but wouldn't it be better to grab the equation from the running executable?
Having an unknown type in the equation (variable, constant) can throw numbers off by a great deal.
Omni

Postby Lynneth » 30 Jul 2014, 00:24

I tried many combinations. And reach a simple conclusion.

To reach maximum damage, first reach a stat minimum range of the skills. The rest, pump up all the Skill Force %, and the last add the Attack+ point as much as possible. Or much better, Skill Force+% above 50%.

I tried adding 25% + 25% atk the result is not +50%, instead it results only around +40% atk. So, the best would be in combination.

This also applies to heals/cure/buffs and all the attack skills
IGN : Lynneth (lv.92/Reraised as Zombies) - Looking for more exciting experience..Rather than being depressed, better just play! :D. Let's grind for teamwork.. or not? :P :). Looking for party to grind lv.90+ weapon. Whisp me IGN!-In hiatus for 2 days-
Lynneth

Postby Otonashi » 30 Jul 2014, 00:27

Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that. If anyone can do so then I'd be grateful though.

Lynneth wrote:I tried many combinations. And reach a simple conclusion.

To reach maximum damage, first reach a stat minimum range of the skills. The rest, pump up all the Skill Force %, and the last add the Attack+ point as much as possible. Or much better, Skill Force+% above 50%.

I tried adding 25% + 25% atk the result is not +50%, instead it results only around +40% atk. So, the best would be in combination.

This also applies to heals/cure/buffs and all the attack skills
Doesn't answer how the game calculates damage, though. I'm not trying to define which form of damage boosts are best, as I already have that information. I want the explicit formula the game uses.
Last edited by Otonashi on 30 Jul 2014, 00:32, edited 1 time in total.
  僕    甘    真    柔
  ら       い    っ       わ
  は   絶     白    ら
  い    望     い     か
  る     の   ︑      い
                   に
                  ︑
Otonashi

Postby Lynneth » 30 Jul 2014, 00:31

*Just reference for damage formula*
My combinations :

-> Using the same Caudeceus, I can heal someone in range of 1500-2300 points. Just with changing magatamas.
-> Invigs is also affected, but in very lesser degree. I find it that the more atk/affinity and skill force you have for the staffs, the faster the tick of recovery (need confirmation), and the longer your buffs, and the stronger your buffs. (with correct magatamas, 25 SP twice/tick second, without correct magatamas, 24 SP/tick second). Heal full SP from empty and still ticking with correct magatamas.. I guess that's more than enough for attackers.

I buff Strike Boost V high end player(he's lv.48) -> crits 65k-82k damage to boss, around lv.48-50 -> to grind Yakumo Temple
Without buffs -> later I'll report when he's online.

I never explicitly calculate though.. I dislike complicated subjects like math :lol: . But at least, I know how to get around with it.
IGN : Lynneth (lv.92/Reraised as Zombies) - Looking for more exciting experience..Rather than being depressed, better just play! :D. Let's grind for teamwork.. or not? :P :). Looking for party to grind lv.90+ weapon. Whisp me IGN!-In hiatus for 2 days-
Lynneth

Postby Sentoki » 01 Aug 2014, 00:41

Does dex actually add crit force? and if it does can anybody tell me how much
Sentoki

Postby Otonashi » 01 Aug 2014, 00:57

Yes, it does. But the amount is unknown, as the way crit force works is unknown.
  僕    甘    真    柔
  ら       い    っ       わ
  は   絶     白    ら
  い    望     い     か
  る     の   ︑      い
                   に
                  ︑
Otonashi

Return to Guides & Strategy