[GUIDE]Hermit crab grind impression (Sword)

Post helpful information for other players here.

[GUIDE]Hermit crab grind impression (Sword)

Postby Chieko-sama » 14 Aug 2014, 21:40

hi guys! I'm writing a review of tireless grind at hermit crab 5 man carry~

Hermit Crab Grotto or just known as grotto is a neatly located dungeon at the end of hokurikudo 4th line. You can walk there from echigo and use "return to resurrection point" to get there faster (yeah there's a guide for that here).

My first try out is at lvl 82, when I'm getting my +100 sword w/2 ougis (main wep), I decide to go there with a support/wand hybrid, a support, and few passengers.. FYI I've been doing 2-4 man since lvl 70s to try how to wipe the mobs there but it seems kinda "complicated" in some ways so I have to stop.

the set I'm using is just regular.. 4 amara, 2 with good ornaments 2 with yes ornaments, no chian, no pop-star :D
2 wpn with ougis 1 updated, 1 older weapon and 1 old friend hitter.. and some good support. The first thing crossed my mind is.. Thunderbeast the entire room, well yes.. that's the fastest way to wipe out those damned blue penanggalan. At first room I've been zapping 2 times and.. guess what? dead. yeah, dead. why? because I start from the farthest middle and zap to the farthest mob from entrance, result is: 1. I escaped the ice balloon, 2. they don't cast anything, 3. dead.

I've been seeing a sword carry there, but didn't really saw him do what I did so I kinda rethink.. something must've gone wrong. Until I figured out: never, never cut your way between 2 sides of those penanggalan, ever.. they will cast the ice and it even hits you after you cast thunderbeast.. (dunno if it's even lingering hitboxes or what) from what I reserve from their ominous behavior, safest way to approach is make your way circling a group of penanggalan at close/mid range after that, zap them with thunderbeast! if your weapon or skill can't wipe them out in 1 zap, don't worry.. pan your camera 180 degree after you zap, then chain it with fast crimson flame/true spirit blast, or just regular skills like DSB, lightning slash/ phoenix slash, they all should be dead if you hit it right.

the 2nd room, it's kinda easy if you stay on the right track (my support even not giving me speed, to test out) I just do the usual routine: circle a pack, fast-compress it, thunderbeast > 180 > crimson flame > side roll, circle the remaining pack, thunderbeast > true spirit blast > clear the remaining if there are some.

I'm not giving all the details about the rest of the rooms.. but few notes:
1. don't get too close with kusareppou, centipedes, and those gankubi.

2. don't get too far and don't run straight against blue penanggalan they are better be approach when start moving in pack (don't wait too long either), and don't cast a thunderbeast from distance to a non-aggroed cause they will randomly strike you with balloons. And if you are confident about your thunderbeast wipe out, do 3-4 times with fast roll cancel. Note that you should make your thunderbeast angle as close as possible to a well-compressed pack, never stray out of pack or cut between 2/more packs, make a pattern that resembles letter of V, N, O, half O or Z with your thunderbeast or even M, tho M is kinda dangerous cause it cuts thru 2 packs.

3. The lag rooms. Take extra caution and planned strategies to clear these rooms, I believe the last room to be the most laggiest room ever of all the entire dungeons. There is small room packed with all sorts of nasty, evil looking mobs.. The idea is: 1. you rush through all of them with nasty zeal, and ends up standing frozen and even death. or 2. patiently took them off little by little and makes you safe. I never end up alive when I choose option 1, simply cause of lag. but then I rethink over another possible methods.. that is, BAIT. don't hesitate to use someone to contribute by being a bait, direct them to attract some of the mobs to the nearest corner and guard. Your job is now to wipe out these mobs, fast, and make sure you use your stronger skills 1st cause they will be aggroed to you, which is laggy. If you feel safe enough then you can wipe the rest of the mobs without baiting, but take extra caution of little freaking ants, it's lag inducing and super annoying if not wiped out fast.

4. The boss. The bosses are super easy if you ask me.. and it can be wiped by all other classes too.. they're not that high HP or defense so my 1x thunder should wipe them out easily, take extra caution for the Nue, their charge attack hurts.

exp earned is very rewarding, even more rewarding if you stay sharp and safe.. It gives 190k-200k per run at SS rank (I'm using premium tho) and 340k-ish using just 100% exp boost and login boost.. at lvl 83, which is jetplane exp. the chest at the end of the dungeon contains stones too, dunno if steal attacks bring out some rare drops. my fastest clear time is 11:04 mins and aiming for much faster but safer clear..

people at lvl 70+ you can encourage yourself to carry /proper 5 man there, even if you started with alot of dying, never give up!

and if there's grotto expert you can share your tips to me and some advice I'd use and giving feedback to each other~

UPDATE: those was my impression of early carry time there, the only thing need to be noted is you must mob them well. The details I can't spoken of as this kind of experience can only felt if you are actually carrying.. The blue penanggalans are not more than a fast-spewing, mid-shooting machine. They are actually avoidable even without speed, by making much narrower but perfect circle.

gankubi and kusareppou can easily mobbed. As for centipedes, they will stray and charge if you get too far from them so, mob them like C shape (start at right/left idm, gather them all like crescent).

for little ants, use fast aoe to dispose large number and make sure you don't running cause they will chase you, it is better to stay still and cast aoe (dodge if they start the bite animation, it kinda hurts).

intensive grind makes you better.. however focus is always a must :)
Last edited by Chieko-sama on 18 Aug 2014, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.
IGN: ChiekoMochida
lvl 92 sword

~Carrier of the Dark Eclipse~
Chieko-sama

Re: [GUIDE]Hermit crab grind impression (Sword)

Postby Old Snake » 14 Aug 2014, 23:04

chie its not that hard just mob them good best combo is Crimson Flame + Thunder Beast or Thunder Beast + True Spirit Blas, be sure you're on speed so bubbles wont hit you, I do make it 6-8 mins.

only annoying thing thats stalls you are the small ants which is always at the far end of the room and they are hard to locate >.> so if you have like blue fang you can scan them out with it it will put some target bar so you can see where they are. I got a vid here on my run and some sword play videos too if you wanna check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf2YKlR ... X3xhUbhatg
Sebastian M. 100 Sword/Katana user
some Nyankoporon/Hell carry vids
https://www.youtube.com/user/Tukmolius/videos
Old Snake

Postby Chieko-sama » 15 Aug 2014, 00:10

Old Snake wrote:chie its not that hard just mob them good best combo is Crimson Flame + Thunder Beast or Thunder Beast + True Spirit Blas, be sure you're on speed so bubbles wont hit you, I do make it 6-8 mins.

only annoying thing thats stalls you are the small ants which is always at the far end of the room and they are hard to locate >.> so if you have like blue fang you can scan them out with it it will put some target bar so you can see where they are. I got a vid here on my run and some sword play videos too if you wanna check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf2YKlR ... X3xhUbhatg

hehe, tyvm Seb for the info :3 yes indeed ants are so annoying.. and maybe I waste some time at the big rooms :/ or something that stalls my clear time

btw Imma watching your vid, right away :3
lvl 92 sword

Chieko-sama

Postby Chieko-sama » 15 Aug 2014, 14:20

hmmmm, I was so curious tbh how can you get no lag at all? grotto is so laggy for me.. (I know my provider sucks, but the FPS got laggy too), got a laptop with intel i5 and Nvidia GT740M.. I've even turned off all graphics effect at the game settings.

lag occurs when there's bunch of animations like ants digging, and ice bubbles..

aaand, you got chian with you. looking at your vid 2:40, I'll end up dead if that happens (yes, only got 6,3k hp and no def at all. such build, very glass cannon, much wow). At 3:30 you wipe out the mobs at the farthest sides first which is potentially stray out that kinda different from my method of collecting inner mobs and wipe the remaining outer shells of mobs near the door.

at the last room before boss, you got 0 lag.. which is why I waste my time there, it's so lag even to move my camera if I mob an entire room.. and probably end up dead cause it's so hard to trigger skills (let alone move).

so.. What kinda solutions for me to clear it with 0 possible deaths and.. eradicate the lag if possible. :/
lvl 92 sword

Chieko-sama

Postby Ixie » 15 Aug 2014, 20:37

Chieko-sama wrote:hmmmm, I was so curious tbh how can you get no lag at all? grotto is so laggy for me.. (I know my provider sucks, but the FPS got laggy too), got a laptop with intel i5 and Nvidia GT740M.. I've even turned off all graphics effect at the game settings.

lag occurs when there's bunch of animations like ants digging, and ice bubbles..

so.. What kinda solutions for me to clear it with 0 possible deaths and.. eradicate the lag if possible. :/

Extremely likely that you have an integrated graphics card on your laptop as well, and Onigiri loves to select it over your actual nvidia card. I have the same card as yours (but 520M) and this happens to a large portion of laptop nvidia users.

On your desktop, right click and hit *nvidia control panel* (if it's not there, google how to get there, i'm lazy x_x) then go to *Manage 3D settings* and hit *Add* and select onigiri

Undr the *select the preferred graphics processor for this program* tab selection, you'll likely see it automatically set to your non nvidia card, simply click on it and switch it to your card, and hit *apply* (feel free to also check your other games as well using this method)

100% harmless to your computer, and 100% recommended before any other drastic changes to ensure you don't actually do something harmful to your computer.
Ixie

Postby Otonashi » 15 Aug 2014, 23:11

Ixie wrote:
Chieko-sama wrote:hmmmm, I was so curious tbh how can you get no lag at all? grotto is so laggy for me.. (I know my provider sucks, but the FPS got laggy too), got a laptop with intel i5 and Nvidia GT740M.. I've even turned off all graphics effect at the game settings.

Extremely likely that you have an integrated graphics card on your laptop as well, and Onigiri loves to select it over your actual nvidia card. I have the same card as yours (but 520M) and this happens to a large portion of laptop nvidia users.

On your desktop, right click and hit *nvidia control panel* (if it's not there, google how to get there, i'm lazy x_x) then go to *Manage 3D settings* and hit *Add* and select onigiri

Undr the *select the preferred graphics processor for this program* tab selection, you'll likely see it automatically set to your non nvidia card, simply click on it and switch it to your card, and hit *apply* (feel free to also check your other games as well using this method)

100% harmless to your computer, and 100% recommended before any other drastic changes to ensure you don't actually do something harmful to your computer.
The lag in Hermit Crab Grotto can't be fixed by running Onigiri on a powerful GPU. I'm fairly certain that Sebastian is either running the game on an extremely impressive setup, has tweaked something with nvidia inspector (or whatever the equivalents are), is killing the mukade before a large number of them tunnel, or doesn't actually have that high of an fps in game and the recording simply has higher frames.
  僕    甘    真    柔
  ら       い    っ       わ
  は   絶     白    ら
  い    望     い     か
  る     の   ︑      い
︒     中                     ︑
                   に
                  ︑
Otonashi

Postby Old Snake » 16 Aug 2014, 05:14

the thing with the last room lag is avoidable, you just have to lure half or a third of the mobs in the left side and kill them all before wiping the whole area. as seen in 5:20 on this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLSRuxe ... X3xhUbhatg
Sebastian M. 100 Sword/Katana user
some Nyankoporon/Hell carry vids
https://www.youtube.com/user/Tukmolius/videos
Old Snake

Postby Chieko-sama » 16 Aug 2014, 14:29

Old Snake wrote:the thing with the last room lag is avoidable, you just have to lure half or a third of the mobs in the left side and kill them all before wiping the whole area. as seen in 5:20 on this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLSRuxe ... X3xhUbhatg

whew thanks bruh, after saw your vid and saw you carrying a bit. Now my clear time record is faster.. about 8-9 mins :D

<3
lvl 92 sword

Chieko-sama

Postby Chieko-sama » 17 Aug 2014, 15:19

another new experience I got from a 2 man carry with Cranberry.

we actually doing good at splitting mob works in half and, the last room is so yolo.. but I've kinda used to it and we actually broke a record of 5:40-ish minutes..

this might be another alternative if you might want to do grotto.
lvl 92 sword

Chieko-sama

Postby Chieko-sama » 18 Aug 2014, 14:28

you don't have to equip a chian or pop-star to carry there or many other places. Just bottle some of the Benten's blessing, and take a good support with you and you'll set. Chian/ pop-star is just a tool to help you.

practicing dodge and learning enemies attack/defense pattern is good way to start.. Much more elements are exist, such as stat calculations, mag builds, skill elements.. those are tertiary. The most simple thing to do is to read bestiary (even tho I don't collect much monster cards) to read their weaknesses, and don't hesitate to start!

we need dungeon plowing more, more people chatting outside dungeons and parties, more people making separate hunts schedule, many people chat and having fun while they can do something about their char and progress together with their friends.. And not being desperately dependent of higher lvl people. :D
lvl 92 sword

Chieko-sama

Next

Return to Guides & Strategy