Spear Build

Post helpful information for other players here.

Spear Build

Postby KiraYuuichi » 11 Oct 2014, 05:32

I might as well list the build and see what you guys think of it, weapon's obviously a Spear so I'm not including it in the build. I'll just put the Stats, Magatama + Ornamentations, Title and Skills I use. The reason I'm doing this is because I don't wanna make a build that's gonna screw up big time when I enter the newly released area in the JP server.
P.S.: I might screw up some translations from JP to EN, so if I mis-translate a certain thing, sorry.

Stats:
Level 110
Pow: 80
Vit: 100
Wis: 10
Mnd: 85
Dex: 45

Magatama:
Gemini Magatama [Breath of Earth] [Fated Contractor]
Taishougun Magatama [Confining Terror] [Confining Terror]
Saisetsu Magatama [Confining Terror] [Confining Terror]
Leo Magatama [Fated Contractor] [Fated Contractor]

Title:
Katou Kiyomasa
- Spear Affinity +40%
- Vit +5
- Pow +1

Skills:
Ice Blossom (Obviously .w.)
Water Dragon Spear
Rolling Thunder
Ougi Tidal Wave
KiraYuuichi

Re: Spear Build

Postby Firon » 12 Oct 2014, 04:51

First off, I'm not spear so... take what you want from what I say.

KiraYuuichi wrote:The reason I'm doing this is because I don't wanna make a build that's gonna screw up big time when I enter the newly released area in the JP server.

If you need to adjust now, or mess up before, you're still going to need a stat reset :/
I guess you might as well see the new area first.

KiraYuuichi wrote:Stats:
Level 110
Pow: 80
Vit: 100
Wis: 10
Mnd: 85
Dex: 45

Most would say dex is the most offensive stat because of the cd, crit force and crit rate so you should aim for 100, ideally.
Also, I think most people here probably go for the 3 sf magatama + chiami which means you probably won't die unless you get ohko'd or killed before you can attack, if you have enough crit. The chiami seems to be replaceable by unfailing durability in distress ornament in which case you'd be able to have 4 sf magatama but that's not available here yet -.- . Your build seems to be more about survival than damage, though, so maybe you have enough hp to not need hp on crit :/ no idea, haven't tested it.

KiraYuuichi wrote:Magatama:
Gemini Magatama [Breath of Earth] [Fated Contractor]
Taishougun Magatama [Confining Terror] [Confining Terror]
Saisetsu Magatama [Confining Terror] [Confining Terror]
Leo Magatama [Fated Contractor] [Fated Contractor]

I doubt you're still using rank 4 skills so you should probably replace that if you can for something higher ranked. It's better to replace Taishougun if you're really only using spear, again, for something with more sf and probably higher ranked. No idea what Saisetsu Magatama is. Leo is good, from what I've heard anyway. I don't think you need "Breath of Earth" but the other two ornaments are common here. I can't really say what's best because you can't really test many builds due to the time needed just to work on one. I'm guessing you would go more fated if you had magatama that could use it which is another reason to go for more for spear SF magatama.

KiraYuuichi wrote:Title:
Katou Kiyomasa
- Spear Affinity +40%
- Vit +5
- Pow +1

I don't think you really need this anymore but I don't know any suitable title either. The title I have isn't even related to my build anymore.

KiraYuuichi wrote:Skills:
Ice Blossom (Obviously .w.)
Water Dragon Spear
Rolling Thunder
Ougi Tidal Wave

Looks saleable :P
not going to comment on this as, again, I'm not a spear user
IGN: Firon - TS (PC)
Firon

Postby KiraYuuichi » 12 Oct 2014, 07:43

Most would say dex is the most offensive stat because of the cd, crit force and crit rate so you should aim for 100, ideally. Also, I think most people here probably go for the 3 sf magatama + chiami which means you probably won't die unless you get ohko'd or killed before you can attack, if you have enough crit. The chiami seems to be replaceable by unfailing durability in distress ornament in which case you'd be able to have 4 sf magatama but that's not available here yet -.- . Your build seems to be more about survival than damage, though, so maybe you have enough hp to not need hp on crit :/ no idea, haven't tested it.

This is my Tank build, it still hits in the 100,000s easily with Skills. I'm gonna be posting a full Replay of building an entirely different Spear build from beginning to end. It focuses on maxing out Dex, but I'm not sure what the other stats should be, so if Tentacle could gimme a few pointers it'd be nice. For the Dex Spear build, I'll consider 2 Leo, 1 Literature and 1 Chiami (What's SF Magatama, by the way?) for a little more "Glass Cannon-y" approach. I'll worry about the Ornamentations later.

Edit: Unfailing Durability in Distress drops your Attack by 100 to 200, no way .w.

I doubt you're still using rank 4 skills so you should probably replace that if you can for something higher ranked. It's better to replace Taishougun if you're really only using spear, again, for something with more sf and probably higher ranked. No idea what Saisetsu Magatama is. Leo is good, from what I've heard anyway. I don't think you need "Breath of Earth" but the other two ornaments are common here. I can't really say what's best because you can't really test many builds due to the time needed just to work on one. I'm guessing you would go more fated if you had magatama that could use it which is another reason to go for more for spear SF magatama.

I'm struggling with Magatama cause the Chakra available at level 110 is 148. With my Dex Spear build Magatamas I listed above, it's come really close to hitting the max. A few more levels wouldn't even help much if you were to go for the more potent Magatamas.

Edit: Saisetsu Magatama
- Rank 4+ Skill Force +35%
- Sword Affinity -10%

I don't think you really need this anymore but I don't know any suitable title either. The title I have isn't even related to my build anymore.

It's literally the best one I could find for a Spear user in both EN and JP Wikis and through my own research via Amaterasu.

To recap, my main concerns are stats for a Dex Spear build and the Magatama Chakra problem, so if you guys could get on that it'd be much appreciated.
KiraYuuichi

Postby Firon » 12 Oct 2014, 17:15

KiraYuuichi wrote:
Edit: Unfailing Durability in Distress drops your Attack by 100 to 200, no way .w.

*chance to :)

KiraYuuichi wrote:[he Chakra available at level 110 is 148. With my Dex Spear build Magatamas I listed above, it's come really close to hitting the max. A few more levels wouldn't even help much if you were to go for the more potent Magatamas.

Edit: Saisetsu Magatama
- Rank 4+ Skill Force +35%
- Sword Affinity -10%

This is because your using non spear specific magatama. Non-specific wep sf magatama use a lot of chakra :/

KiraYuuichi wrote:(What's SF Magatama, by the way?)

Skill Force
Firon

Postby SupremeTentacle » 12 Oct 2014, 19:49

Okay, so, I see that you're using a bunch of Magatama that are not spear-specific. Like Firon, I don't recommend that you use these magatama.

The first reason behind this is that they fall into the generic category for Magatama when you attempt to ornament them. This essentially limits your ornaments, so that you can essentially only choose between Yggdrasil's and confining terror if you want useful ornaments. That said, spear specific magatama are allowed to use Fated contractor.

If you are looking to be tanky, that would probably be one of the best choices that are currently available to you.

Unlike the other party who has responded in this thread, I believe Katou Kiyomasa is great choice. It allows you to spec a lower amount of vit, but that leads to a problem: that is, you are wasting points by adding more into vit, since you are aiming to be tanky.

Note that the difference in tankyness between 80 and 100 vit is really not that great though...

Which character type are you planning to use? I take it that the things you have listed are not total stats, but instead, the ones that you have as base? This is important because you want to achieve stat totals that are (preferably) efficient. Furthermore, why is it that you are looking to obtain so much mind, without any wisdom? Is it the SP regen, or are you hoping to use ougi staff buffs on yourself? Or maybe because it gives a slight buff to defenses? The reasoning behind these things are important when deciding on a build.

My estimate says that, with your build, you should have like 15k hp without ornamentation, give or take a bit.

Note that hitting above 100k on JP and EN are different; a player with the same gear on the EN server appears to hit less from my observations. Using a +100 weapon around level 9x~10x should yield you at least 400k on either server, with the right build.

Another thing to note is that Amaterasu also provides you with chakra as you level up; so you should have more than 148 by level 110 - especially with the new content. With Kusatsu content cap, I already have 150 chakra at level 105.

Unfailing durability in distress also only has a *chance* of lowering your attack - its worth taking the shot due to how much it gives back to you.

Another thing to note is that, although its simply amazing numerically, its difficult to use rolling thunder in practice. Most of the time, its used for smaller sized bosses. It is however, great in rooms where mobs will only try to attack you with melee attacks, such as rooms with Hangon Musha.

In all honesty, its very difficult to screw yourself; its almost as difficult to do that as it is to optimize your build. Naturally, the latter of the two requires some time and effort, as well as thought to be inputted into it. That said, each build is only efficient for a specific purpose as well, as another person who has a different purpose in mind would consider some other build as their ideal.

Not sure if i actually answered any of your questions, as I ended up going on a rant.
Selling all of my gear for ~40% of its market value!
~4 lv. 108 to 115 weapons remaining
Some skill card 7's, ougi, orna'd maga and other stuff too!
SupremeTentacle

Postby KiraYuuichi » 13 Oct 2014, 03:02

Okay, so, I see that you're using a bunch of Magatama that are not spear-specific. Like Firon, I don't recommend that you use these magatama.

The first reason behind this is that they fall into the generic category for Magatama when you attempt to ornament them. This essentially limits your ornaments, so that you can essentially only choose between Yggdrasil's and confining terror if you want useful ornaments. That said, spear specific magatama are allowed to use Fated contractor.

Any recommendations? I only know Leo Magatama, the rest are SF.

Which character type are you planning to use? I take it that the things you have listed are not total stats, but instead, the ones that you have as base? This is important because you want to achieve stat totals that are (preferably) efficient. Furthermore, why is it that you are looking to obtain so much mind, without any wisdom? Is it the SP regen, or are you hoping to use ougi staff buffs on yourself? Or maybe because it gives a slight buff to defenses? The reasoning behind these things are important when deciding on a build.

I actually wanna make 2 Spear builds, as I've said before. I'm already fumbling around with different stuff on my Vit build, doesn't seem all that great. I just need tips on making my brand new Dex build that I wanna test out. I'm hearing 100 Dex + Chiami + 2 Leo + Literature, but I don't know how to sort out the rest.

My estimate says that, with your build, you should have like 15k hp without ornamentation, give or take a bit.

17,000, roughly.

Another thing to note is that, although its simply amazing numerically, its difficult to use rolling thunder in practice. Most of the time, its used for smaller sized bosses. It is however, great in rooms where mobs will only try to attack you with melee attacks, such as rooms with Hangon Musha.

So that's a no-no. Devastating Slash? Thunder Crack? Spear of Fuujin?

Not sure if i actually answered any of your questions, as I ended up going on a rant.

You tend to do that, but actually, vaguely... or rather, barely. I've yet to know how to sort out my stats on a Dex build, that's my main concern, Magatama comes next since I can't seem to find any good Spear Magatama.
KiraYuuichi

Postby Firon » 13 Oct 2014, 03:58

KiraYuuichi wrote:I only know Leo Magatama, the rest are SF.

That was my bad. Didn't explain it well :/
SF is just an acronym for Skill force rather than the name of a category of magatama. Leo is also an sf magatama because it has spear sf.
Firon

Postby KiraYuuichi » 13 Oct 2014, 04:28

Still doesn't clear up my confusion on what the cripes you guys recommend for a Vit and Dex build respectively .w.
KiraYuuichi

Postby SupremeTentacle » 13 Oct 2014, 04:36

100 total dex is just the efficiency point. There's nothing wrong with adding more, as critical rate increases indefinitely. You simply won't get any additional critical force or any additional cool down reduction.

I honestly don't have anything to recommend to you about choosing between the two builds.

All I have to really say is that it would be worth your while getting 100 dex in both and maxing affinity in both, due to the sheer efficiency of those two stats...

What's done beyond that is completely up to you.

If you want more crit, build wisdom until inefficient.

If you want to sustain yourself, get mind.

If you want more attack speed and hp, get power.

Hell, if you want, just ignore efficiency and don't get any dex.

It's really completely situational based on your playstyle. You don't build based on what others think is ideal because what works for others won't work for you. At lower levels, sure, you can build following general trends, because everyone knows what's better at lower levels, but at higher levels, your character becomes much more customized.

For example, I spec 60 total pow (like 30 base) for attack speed so that I can use ice blossom when a mirror attempts to lightning me, and kill it before it kills me. That said, I don't have enough hp to tank hits like that.

Like, the only way I know to solve your problem is really just to have you sit down and decide how much you value each stat, exactly how you want to play each character, etc.

Unless there's something really specific you want each of your characters to be able to do, I can't provide you with that much advice.
Selling all of my gear for ~40% of its market value!
~4 lv. 108 to 115 weapons remaining
Some skill card 7's, ougi, orna'd maga and other stuff too!
SupremeTentacle

Postby KiraYuuichi » 13 Oct 2014, 06:36

Well thanks for the answer... Guess I haven't fully adapted from Cosmic Break to Onigiri since there's always a player out there who makes an "Absolute Perfect Build" in CB. In Onigiri there isn't a model answer, I guess.
KiraYuuichi

Next

Return to Guides & Strategy