Stat distribution question

Post helpful information for other players here.

Stat distribution question

Postby Kamahari Akuma » 18 Oct 2014, 18:45

To make a point, I've looked through the forums for stat distribution for certain weapons, but the majority I've seen only point out stat distribution to max out weapon affinity, with no other stat distribution words of wisdom to go with it. Perhaps I'm wrong on this count, but concurrently I'm in need of guidance with stat distribution after you've already hit the affinity cap for the particular weapon(s) of choice.

The weapons I'm using in conjunction with character types are as follows:
Daring - Twin Swords
Defensive - Spears
Cautious - Wands

If I could receive guidance on what stats need to raised after hitting the affinity cap for each of the above, I'd be very grateful for your time.

Minor note: Because Dex boosts both Twin Swords and Bows, I was also curious if anyone has advice on stat distribution for a hybrid build between the two weapons, as well as if Wands usage can be mixed with Staves while using a Cautious character type hybrid build.
Kamahari Akuma

Re: Stat distribution question

Postby Firon » 18 Oct 2014, 19:48

Before anyone says anything, maxed aff should be without aff magatama.

If I quote, there's really not anything I can add :/

SupremeTentacle wrote:100 total dex is just the efficiency point. There's nothing wrong with adding more, as critical rate increases indefinitely. You simply won't get any additional critical force or any additional cool down reduction.

What's done beyond that is completely up to you.

If you want more crit, build wisdom until inefficient.

If you want to sustain yourself, get mind.

If you want more attack speed and hp, get power.

So, yeah
Mnd if you want sp and sp regeneration rate
vit for hp (the quote was from a spear build so that was assumed, I guess)

The stats page really helps a lot but tbh, it doesn't really make a difference what stats you choose because weapons and magatama play a much bigger part. Don't place them randomly, though, just aim for what you want.
IGN: Firon - TS (PC)
Firon

Postby Kamahari Akuma » 19 Oct 2014, 17:12

Firon wrote:Before anyone says anything, maxed aff should be without aff magatama.

Tis a given. One of the first things I learned pretty quickly when looking at weapon guides.

Firon wrote:The stats page really helps a lot but tbh, it doesn't really make a difference what stats you choose because weapons and magatama play a much bigger part. Don't place them randomly, though, just aim for what you want.

Yeah, but weapons and magatamas are usually outlined in weapon guides, at least here, but the element I'm missing is the stats since while weapons and magatamas are the big decisions, stats are the groundwork from where you start, and I would like honest ideas about how to work them before i hit the point where i've maxxed out the primary weapon stat, so that when i get to that point I know what exactly what I'm doing before going headlong into the lion's den that is the weapons and magatamas.
Kamahari Akuma

Postby Firon » 19 Oct 2014, 20:54

All, people can really do is just say what they did and why, I guess.

Here's another one (hope people don't mind me quoting them)

Otonashi wrote:In my opnion, the way to build any character is

1. Build Main Stat until max Affinity
  2. Add enough Dex for the maximum amount of Critical Force and Cooldown Reduction you can get from Dex (I'm fairly certain the cap is reached at 100 Dex for Critical Force, but cannot confirm it. Cooldown Reduction from Dex is capped at 15 at 100). If your Main Stat is Dex, ignore this step
  3. Decide whether to add Mnd to be able to use staves. If yes, get either 40 for Rapid Storm, 6x for Invigorate VI, or 7x for Cure VII
  4. Decide whether to add Vit for additional leeway when using Chian. If your Main Stat is Vit, ignore this step
  5. Add Dex and Wis depending on which one is more effiicent for Crit. Each point in Dex adds 1/12 Crit and each point in Wis adds 1/24 Crit. The game rounds down.
  6. Pow is pretty worthless if you're not using Pow weapons.

Of course, by "Main Stat" I mean the stat your weapon gains affinity from, and not the primary stat your type provides. If that wasn't clear.

Btw, I'd suggest whatever build you make, go for the 40 mnd at least, because rapid storm is pretty much necessary for later dungeons (unless you want to use a lot of moon king each run). 50 mnd is more sustainable in terms of sp recovery.

I'll say what I've done:

Pure dex (100, 140 something total)
Wis (Aiming for 100 total for now, 93 iirc)
Mnd (56 total atm)

I haven't used any stat points for the last few levels and don't plan to until I hit lvl 100 because there's not really any need to atm and I want to see what stat increases I get at 100 before I add points. Hp isn't really needed that much for daring because the 2nd and 3rd stats are pow and vit respectively, which both give hp, and hp ornaments (fated contractor) solve most hp problems.

I'm using wis as a secondary stat for the additional crit and the staff sp reduction. It also increases sp, although, at a lesser rate than mnd.

Mnd was more for rapid and sharing invigs, but it is definitely valuable because of the sp regen. Being daring, it is a necessity, since mnd is the slowest increasing stat for the char type.

Again, this is just what I've done based on what I wanted.
IGN: Firon - TS (PC)
Firon

Postby Cinder » 28 Oct 2014, 01:40

A few things, the amount of hp that Vit gives you goes up as you level. I haven't tested if it's based on your max hp, current hp, before or after bonus % hp, etc. It can make a big impact on your health pool. If you don't mind purchasing (with oc from sales or whatever) or using your free reset later, I'd put some points in here as any class, once you're at a comfortable level with your main stat (15 points for one more dex or 15 points for 5 vit in the mid levels, it's not as linear a choice as the community would like you to believe). I say you might need a reset later to get the perfect build suited for you, you may not need so much HP in your much later levels for example. But by the time it's a big deal you should honestly have some way to make 100 OC through in game sales anyhow.

Strength gives half as much hp as vit, and also raises physical weapon affinity by some small amount. In addition, it raises your attack speed a small amount which is apparently noticeable once you get enough of it (like, a lot). Vit gives more and more defense/magic defense as it's value gets higher, but these stats don't count for much against much higher level enemies. I agree that you should probably have 40 mind minimum for rapid storm and a bigger sp pool, which really isn't as many points as it sounds like. You'll probably naturally get enough mind from bonus stats to hit 50 anyhow, which is a comfortable amount for rank 5 staff skills (very useful if you duo or find yourself weaker than the other members in your group while still wanting to be useful).

Wisdom is tricky, it gives you less sp and magic defense than mind, but gives a whopping 1 crit for 24 points (whee...) Obviously you want a bunch as a wand user, it also helps your staff skills costs if you're going that route, but you need a significant amount to get a real boost. It gives a small amount of cast speed as well, similar to the way strength gives attack speed. The sp recovery stat is a trap for any non wand/staff mains, it only really counts for when you're charging up SP with a wand or staff.

Just go with a build you like, the only 'musts' are enough mind for staff skills you want to cast or they flat out fail, and a ton of wisdom to reduce wand skill costs or it's completely unmanageable as opposed to awful (if you're going wand main). Everything else is just whatever you feel you need: more damage, more crit, more life, more sp, whatever. Getting your affinity at least close to 3k is recommended (without affinity magatamas, they just waste a valuable slot), you don't have to go full blown up to 3000 affinity though if you want to wait for leveling bonus stats to fill in the last points.
Cinder

Return to Guides & Strategy