[GUIDE]How to build you character

Post helpful information for other players here.

[GUIDE]How to build you character

Postby WulfenKnight » 01 Jun 2014, 04:51

Hallo I'm pasting my old Guide from Before the Forum wipe, For new players and those of you who don't know. I was in the English Onigiri Alpha and got 1 char to lvl30 and If memory serves....max was 40 or somethin..... it's probably in this long guide somewhere i can't remember, ANYWAYS. Everything in this guide Was correct in Alpha and i know alot of it seems too still stand true. I will update the info thru OBT.

Ok First off let me state that this info is from what i've seen(Tho i've taken screenshots and tested it) But it may still be off abit or lacking in afew smaller details(example certain things may have Extra things it gives. But it gives Atleast this. If that makes sense)
Not to mention they could change what stuff does later(I hope not >.<), But this is a basic guide on how to build your character depending on
What "YOU" want to make or how "YOU" like to play.

Lets start with your "Weapon of Choice" There are 8 weapons too choose from(As seen below) Each weapon goes too a "Class". There aren't really classes seeing as you can be anything. but people are generally one or another, Classes are defined by different weapons that gain damage from the same stat.(Example my main alpha char Healed & did AoE Magic, So that's Staff and Wand, But i also used sword for dmg so i was a hybrid and most people are, Moving on~).
I've also given them names that are Typical to normal MMORPGs so new people can kinda understand whats what, if they wanna be something specific(Quickly) that they were in another MMORPG. But If it confuses you.. Feel free to COMPLETELY IGNORE IT ._.

"Samurai" Use Katana,Long Sword,Axe.
Katana are fast with a Short range(Atad longer then Twin Swords)
Long Swords(Nodachi/Oodachi/Tachi) are Slow and they do a tad less dmg then Axes. But they reach almost as far as spears
|
Axes are Very Slow, But do the Most dmg out of all Melee and have some Devastating AoE Skills.

"Spearmen" Use Spears which have a Wide attack range and can attack from a decent/long range And are of Slow speed. They have good lunging/piercing skills and can do a big AoE infront of them like Clerics can(With the right skill of course called "Sweep").

"Clerics" Use Staffs which have Buff/Recovery/Assist skills & Afew Attack Skills, They can recover their own HP/MP or the party's aswell as give them short 5-10 seconds buffs? Some are longer but buffs aren't so good atm(They may be since Beta).

"Mages" Use Wands which ONLY have Attack skills. which normally revolve around elements like Lightning,Fire,Ice,Poison(Since when is poison an element? XD),Darkness,Light. Wands also shoot out white glowy balls....<.<? When hitting Or holding Left click. they do base dmg only(Might crit too).

^---I'll try to improve the images when OBT/Release comes out.
"Rogue" Use Twin Swords & Bows. Bows have some useful skills like "Rapid Shot","Double Shot","Jumping Dodge" and some others i can't think of atm. But the main down side to using bows is that the Durability on them runs down Abit faster then other weapons, So you may need too carry 2 bows with you. Tho you'd normally wanna carry more then 1 of each weapon you specialize in period, Of course that depends on your dmg/lvl and if your solo or with a team etc.
|
Twin Swords are Very Fast with a Very Short range.

^--"Ninja" Now Renamed too "Rogue" For those of you who can't tell how similar the two are And think that a "Ninja" isn't "applicable" in a game, And can't tell that the ninja is basically a Japanese version of a rogue.

Ranged classes are the easiest on this game those being Archers(Rogue), Mages, Clerics. you normally stay out of harms way and just blast stuff.. Unless you run out of SP! :O..

Close Ranged Classes are harder because you have to be fast(If you want to live and hardly lose any HP, Especially without using pots or having a healer) Those being Samurai, Spearmen, Rogue

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Once you've found your 1-3 Preferred weapons you can make your character! After you pick your appearance the next thing you'll need to do is pick a good CT(Character Type) as seen below, which you pick when you first make your character, which affects your weapon proficiency as well as common characteristics like HP, MP, Attack, P.Def, M.Def, etc.
|
- Power: Focus on Power and Vit <--Gives good Health & Health Recovery, Preferred Weapons: Katana,Long Sword,Axe(Samurai) And Spear(Spearmen)

- Defensive: Focus on Vit and Mind <--Gives Health/Good SP & Good Health Recovery, Preferred Weapons: Spear(Spearmen) & Staff(Cleric)

- Cautious: Focus on Wis and Dex <--Gives SP Recovery, Preferred Weapons: Wand(Mage) & Twin Swords,Bow(Rogue)

- Kind: Focus on Wis and Mind <-- Gives good SP & SP Recovery, Preferred Weapons: Wand(Mage) & Staff(Cleric)

- Daring: Focus on Power and Dex <-- Preferred Weapons: Katana,Long Sword,Axe(Samurai) & Twin Swords,Bow(Rogue)

^---Now.. I say "Gives good SP & SP Recovery" etc But... That's only when you first make your character. And i say "Preferred Weapons" Once again that's only when you first make your character. You have 5 Different Character Types too choose from. And for example if you were too pick "Kind" they focus on Wis and Mind so you would start out with 7 points on Wis and Mind and 5/2 points on the rest, So naturally you would be better with a Wand or Staff. Now sure you can ignore that completely and focus on adding too Power and Dex and use katana and a bow. But you wont have the jump start on dmg to your weapon(Katana and bow). And if you pick "Kind" for example you gain in Wis and Mind but lose Vit And abit on Power & Dex. so you have to just weigh things out. And sure maybe 3 points or w/e here and there ain't that much but Every little bit helps right? Especially if you like to solo games

Now once you know which one you want to play as the next thing you'll need is --- STAT POINTS!

I Have yet too retest every stat point 100% perfectly Since alpha, But while playing in CBT as i lvled i took Screenshots at 1 and 5 point allocation. So the following is going off of such information. I know that when you have more points in a certain stat and when you get higher lvl it gives you more which is why some stuff has a + after it. But i tried too record the base value of it, So you can expect it to do this much & possibly more later on.
1 Point Ratio for each stat =

Pow = Dmg7/9.5(?)+(Katana,Long Sword,Axe),HP +0.6(Every 2 Points = 1HP), Also adds 9 Dmg to Spear,Twin Swords,Bow(Every 10 Points)Slight Attack Speed
Vit = Dmg7.2+(Spear),HP +1.2, HP Recovery +0.4(Every 3 / 2Points = 1HP Rec), Increases Physical By 6.2(Roughly) & Magical Defense By 1.8(Roughly)
Wis = Dmg7.2+(Wand),SP +1.4, SP Recovery +2.4,Magic Casting speed
Mnd = Dmg7.8+(Staff),SP +2.2, SP Recovery +1, Increases Physical By 2.2(Roughly) & Magical Defense By 6.2(Roughly)
Dex = Dmg7+(Twin Swords,Bow),Critical +1 Every 10 Points,Reduces Cooldown of skills. <---I kinda felt like this made Twin Swords Faster too... Not sure
Critical "Might" be increased by Power aswell. i haven't tested power that much yet too tell for sure.
Also for every 10 points you have on a stat it gives it an extra Boost, How much is the boost? No clue. But for example if you have 28 points on Dex and add 1 more for 29 you'll do abit more dmg but if you add another point so it hits 30 You'll get an extra boost.. Maybe 5 dmg.. or maybe more. idk

^^^--Appearently the stats are to do abit more aswell tho this isn't completely confirmed yet, i'll add them anyways. And if it isn't true yet it'll probably be true or close next release(Such affects are in Green)

NOW... For those of you paranoid that i'm leading newbies down the wrong path with this next paragraph I am letting them know what they "CAN" do, And i'm not telling them "How They HAVE TO Do it" Just that they can(How do i know this?, Because i've done it myself with little to no problems).

And of course you can mix and match stuff however you want. like you can have a katana and heal... Might be squishy without some Vit tho(Or some good MTs(MegaTamas) ). But you may heal abit less and do abit less dmg then others(End Game). So really depends on how you like to play and what not and i don't have a clue how this'll affect stuff later when the game releases and if people make Hybrids, Especially if they add PvP
But hey.. it'll be interesting! :D Also Max Lvl from what i can see atm is 100! but you can hit atleast that(Using pictures from the JP version as ref).

Tho if you pick "Katana" it would be best too stack most of your points on Power for damage. But i'm not saying you can't put some points in Vit for some extra defence or in Mind too heal others or yourself, Do take note tho. That the healing skills i've seen so far that are mostly affected by Mind are the ones that heal a single party-member at a time(As in. Not yourself) So if you have a sibling you play with alot or a best friend. you "CAN" both pick up a staff with a good heal-other skill(Look below for skill details) add afew points too mind and heal each other, Or just one of you can add afew to mind for the extra healing while the other one finds a staff with a skill to transfer SP to you.

Now the next thing you need is a good weapon to compliment your Stat Points!

So now i'll get into -------------------------------------- WEAPON SKILLS!

Of course you can pick whatever you want(If you happen to find that weapon, Which you'll most likely never find the PERFECT weapon But you can try :D)

<<--==ATTENTION!: BEFORE YOU NIT-PICK THE STUFF BELOW... I HAVE YET TOO UPDATE THIS FAR.. EVERYTHING BELOW IS FROM EN ALPHA!, Not too say it's not correct anymore... just out-dated. And i'll get too it.==-->>

===================================================================================================================================================================================
Cleric: <--My favorite :D
You'll most likely want to have 2 or 3 staffs. If you can manage to lower it too 1 and it has all of the skills you need Go For it!. but chances are you wont, atleast not quickly.

Support Skills:

HP Recovery:
Healing Shot - Takes 20SP, Aim at the person you want to heal and right click. But make sure your in range! and you can miss if they run behind you quickly x.x
Healing Orb - Takes 30SP, Places a floating glowy orb about 3 chars infront and away from you. Anyone who walks into it will be instantly healed it stays for atleast a minute or two. Haven't tested to see how long yet. And you can only place 1 at a time!

Ocean of Energy - Right click and you have a green puddle below you that Heals Anyone standing in it! for 18+ a second(Get better with skill lvl and mind stat) it's kinda a small AoE so ..GROUP HUG! :D
Prayer - Doesn't heal for much if it's lvl 1 and if you don't have much mind. But it's a self heal that can be useful if you don't have Healing Orb or Ocean of Energy.

SP Recovery:
Spirit Well 1 - Takes 9-14SP(? Guess), Recovers 1SP & 1HP a second.
Spirit Well 2 - Takes 14SP, Recovers about 2SP & 2HP a second and Up to about 30-40ish? SP Total when it's done. Total Amount increases with Skill Rank + Lvl and Mind Stat

And basically that's all clerics have aside from buff related stuff and whacking it with a pole, Which i've heard from afew people that it can be useful However i tried it myself and it seemed to be rather useless compared to a normal weapon. But maybe i didn't test it enough either way it has Few attack skills and they seemed to be rather useless in Izumo, But i'll name some anyways.

Attack Skills:

Breath of Life - a Small Cone shaped AoE infront of your char VERY short ranged does about 20(ish dmg?)

Orb of Light

Holy Pillar - Similar to Darkness Pillar. a Pillar of light shoots down from the sky about 4 characters away from you DIRECTLY infront of you.

Holy Land(?)

Still Repose - Takes 60SP, A Single Target Stun skill Lasts for 5s+ can be very useful but use it wisely Especially at lower lvls seeing as it can Zap away all of your SP!

Which i wont get into buffs now cause they are abit unknown still and don't last long and well kinda useless :/ .. The only one that i've seen that's good is Swiftness which you aim at someone and right click and it makes them move about twice as fast for 2 mins or so? That and Reinforce(Self Defence),Strength(/Power? can't remember the name, Self Attack) But those two don't seem to last long.. 5 seconds maybe? idk.

Also you'll find staffs early And later on that CANNOT be repaired or enhanced with only 100 Dura. These are pretty much junk HOWEVER you can happen upon some with good skills. like i found one with "Spirit Well 2" and "Healing Shot" and even tho the dura hit 0 on it. i was still healing the same amount which was around 230HP? So the Support skills on it Still work just fine(UNLESS this was a glitch and they fix it later.)

But what i've found best for a cleric is i have 2 staffs. 1 that has Healing Orb and Ocean of Energy and the other has Spirit Well 2 and Healing Shot. So i can switch to one and heal myself with the orb or heal everyone. or switch to the other for asec to get some quick SP and i only have to stand still for about 2-3seconds Of course if you have healing shot on one of those it'd be good too cause sometimes your teammates just aren't smart enough to GO TO THE LIGHT! or they just can't cause they got 2 fast bosses chasin them or lockin them in a corner etc. So that way you just get in range and if you have enough mind you'll instantly heal them for about 150-230HP and.. Just my recommendation but i wouldn't use Prayer Unless it's All you got.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archer(/Rogue): <--Easiest Class in the game *cough-cough*
As this you can probably just put ALL points into Dex to increase your dmg and you'll wanna carry around 2 or more bows cause you don't want them breaking! Of course you can put some points in vit tho for HP or staff for healing etc. And as far as the skills on bows i don't know of them all but here are 2 good ones

Double Shot - Gives you 2 shots with(What seems to be->) Increased dmg and you can quickly left click again to continue attacking you can kinda use it as a filler when you take a break from normal(Left click) attack.

Jumping Dodge - Just like dodging by double tapping in a direction except you Jump backwards and are more likely to dodge an attack unless it's along charge then your just better off dodging to either side to avoid it.

Still Repose - Takes 60SP, A Single Target Stun skill Lasts for 5s+ can be very useful but use it wisely Especially at lower lvls seeing as it can Zap away all of your SP!

Here's a 4rd one tho i'm still iffy on it cause i haven't tried it yet:

BackStab - is a short buff 5seconds or so? that increases (I Believe-->)ALL Dmg that you do from behind. But Atleast with that weapon.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Melee Related.

Spearmen:

Spear Skills:

Decent Dmg and overall Good Skills:
Cusp of Death
Continuous Strike

AoEs:
Sweep

Fast / Decent Dmg Skills:
Flash Strike
Full Strike
Poison Thrust
Piercing Lunge
Continuous Strike
Multiple Lunge

Self-Support:
Reinforce

|

Taunt

Samurai:

Katana Skills:

Blazing Wheel
Cusp of Death

AoEs:
Ki Blast
Ki Strike
Verdict of Justice

Flash Strike
Triple Slash
Qauruple Slash
Escaping Slash
Venomous Thrust
Multiple Lunge
Full Strike

FULL Dmg / Jumping Skills:
Heavenly Strike
Leaping Cut
Falling Smash

Long Range:
Tsurugi-Kaze

Self-Support:
Strengthen

Long Sword Skills:

Tsubame-Gaeshi

AoEs:
Horizontal Sweep
Verdict of Justice

Odachi Triple Slash
Odachi Quadra Slash
Multiple Lunge
Full Strike

Heavenly Strike
Leaping Cut
Falling Smash

Self-Support:
Strengthen
Reinforce

Axe Skills:

Splasher

Cusp of Death
Mighty Chop

AoEs:
Ice Fang
Spinning Strike

Farmer's Chop

Falling Smash

Long Range:
Tsurugi-Kaze

^----I'll Detail the Above more later in-tailing what each skills does aswell as organize it better and add some more skills.
NOTE: Most Support Skills can appear on ALL! Weapons, Except for Wands sometimes i believe.

{{{{{{{{{{i'm abit lazy now and i've already wrote so much so i'm not gonna get into this to far atm. Aside from this-

if you use Katana/Twin Swords you do a fair amount of dmg(Twin swords tend to do abit more i believe) And you attack fast-Very fast(Twin swords faster i believe) But also if you focus on adding more to your dmg like i did you wont have much in HP and Even if you do you can still be abit squishy. So seeing as you have a fast weapon you can easily move fast too So when you see a monster getting ready to attack Dodge out of the way quickly! to the left or right is normally best. But you can't always see an attack coming so i normally move every 2-4seconds sometimes i wait longer if the monster is stunlocked or gonna die soon etc. but the more you move the more likely you are to live
Plus if you have pots or a healer you might be able to take more chances. Just depends on your current party and what you feel like doing :P

Now if you use Long Sword/Axe/Spear.. That takes skill! cause you attack So much slower! spear is the fastest of the 3 and Axe the slowest.
So basically you have to time attacks just right but at the same time know when to move! and if you move too soon you'll cancel your attack :/
So it's good to have a healer/pots/Lots of vit. this from what i can see atleast.

And i'll get into skills more so later... But i mainly love Blazing Wheel,Tsurugi-Kaze,Flash Strike,Triple(/Quadruple) Strike for swords :D.}}}}}}}}}}

^---Gonna remove the Above Purple Text once i fully write info for melee...AND Untill then that section might be a mess.. x.x

ALSO, this relates to ALL Skills: Skills have Ranks and Lvls, Lets say you find a spear with "Sweep 1" on it.. Ok it actually just says sweep, but it's Rank 1 and it starts at lvl1 but as you use it, It lvls up and gives a stronger affect depending on the skill. Also Skill lvls are character bound and if you were to find a "Sweep 2" you'd have to lvl it up like Sweep 1. Also from what i've see normally a skill DOES NOT get stronger from lvl1-2 it doesn't get stronger untill the 3RD Lvl!...i don't know why but it seems to be the case Especially with heals o=O

and once you get that skill to a certain lvl i Believe you can unlock the next lvl of it?? I think they're gonna do something with that and perhaps make the skill system different where you get rank 1 of everythng or somethin and you have to lvl them up and can switch them on your current weapon... JUST my thoughts.

And that about sums up all that I can think of atm, If i'm missing something and you've tested it and know it works or if you wanna add too this just leave a comment :O Cause this is a Work in Progress and i'll keep updating it as needed.
Last edited by WulfenKnight on 08 Jul 2014, 00:47, edited 21 times in total.
Onigiri ENG Alpha Tester IGN: WulfenKnight Lv21, Hekaru Lv30, WolfenKnight Lv11
Onigiri ENG Closed Beta Tester IGN: WulfenKnight, Hikari Lv20, Hekaru
Here's my Old Alpha Guide-->: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2069
WulfenKnight

Re: [GUIDE]How to build you character

Postby Zoldyck » 02 Jun 2014, 09:58

Very nice guide will definitely make sure to come back to it!

I'm going to be rolling a healer, would you say staff and wand are the best weapons?
Zoldyck

Postby Reis » 02 Jun 2014, 17:22

Zoldyck wrote:Very nice guide will definitely make sure to come back to it!

I'm going to be rolling a healer, would you say staff and wand are the best weapons?

The healing skills are on the Staffs, the wand had more offensive skills.
~Deleted old alpha/beta levels~
Came back for some reason.
Reis

Postby Minato » 02 Jun 2014, 19:00

Some new skills we might get, not sure if in this beta but
You'd want to get elemental skills which pretty much all weapon types have now and do massive damage but kill your weapon durability quick
(click to zoom)

and a Staff with the Resurrection spell to revive your allies in a circle around you

Bows don't die as quickly anymore, 1 shot will only take off 1 durability and skills will take off at most 10 durability
forgotten riceballs
EN: Makoto
JP: Minato
Minato

Postby WulfenKnight » 04 Jun 2014, 00:14

@Zoldyck
What Reis said is true. and i'd say they are one of the best yes. But that's because i like them and the play style. Ultimately i think it just depends on how you like to play, Rather it's Close-Up or At-a-Range. And rather it's Hard and Slow. Or Fast and Light. Wands do ALOT of ranged AoE dmg tho and can clear a dungeon lvled up with ease for sure. But run out of SP before you empty that room and your in trouble without a teammate or a backup weapon(melee/bow)

@Minato
Alright so basically everyone gets a "Getsuga-Tensho" a real one this time xD... or... Ultimate skill...idk something along those lines.
Thanks for the info ^ ^

I'll probably update stuff alot more on the 6th or 7th. i probably wont be able too play much at all on the 5th so i'll be abit late x.x. The immediate thing to update will be the stats and exactly what they give. Then updating skill info and adding the new skills. It'll be abit of a mess at first i'm sure. so i apologize in advance x.x

ALSO from the looks of it they added afew new outfits too the game, But Nekodius has even put his old outfit guide back up. So later today or tomorrow at the latest i'm gonna try and put it back up. I saved the thread before forum wipe so i can restore it and add abit more info.
WulfenKnight

Postby Krysia66 » 04 Jun 2014, 14:29

Thanks so much for the guide. It really helps. I do have a question though...Which class should I go for since I'm mainly a solo player due to my wonky hours. I'll be playing most likely all different hours, which means I usually let down people looking to party/train with me :( Thanks much, in advance!
Krysia66

Postby SaitoHajime » 04 Jun 2014, 15:38

Awesome guide for new players like me.
where is the +1 button, here is it [+1 button](mashed)

@minato wow okay those pictures made me more excited to play now. The long wait *joke*
IGN: Saito Hajime
lvl: 7
SaitoHajime

Postby WulfenKnight » 04 Jun 2014, 20:49

@Krysia66 Umm.. Like i told Zoldyck, It depends on your play style. "Rather it's Close-Up or At-a-Range. And rather it's Hard and Slow. Or Fast and Light. Wands do ALOT of ranged AoE dmg tho and can clear a dungeon lvled up with ease for sure. But run out of SP before you empty that room and your in trouble without a teammate or a backup weapon(melee/bow)"

The combo i used was Wand + Staff. Wand for dmg and Staff for healing myself or others in my party. And for a backup i used Katana.

@SaitoHajime Are you sure your a new player?!??! I'm sure i recognize your name from alpha o=o... Or someone with a similar name. Also.. "+1 Button" :?:
WulfenKnight

Postby ihinichiki » 05 Jun 2014, 03:28

i like to play support classes, so can you go play FULL SUPPORT at this game? are they needed?
if i decided to go full support, i need two staves, right? can two stuff also be sub dps?
ihinichiki

Postby WulfenKnight » 05 Jun 2014, 04:09

@ihinichiki Yes You can go full support(Cleric / Staff) And you will want multiple copies of your weapon, No matter what class or weapon you pick. You never want too run into a dungeon with 1 katana. or 1 bow or 1 axe etc. And staffs have different skills, sometimes you'll get healing skills sometimes buffs sometimes a revive etc. And YES they are needed! Maybe abit less since you get 3 revives i guess per dungeon now. but they are still needed. And can you have a DPS(Dmg-Class) As a 2nd class? Of course!. that's the point tho they made it abit harder. but you can be anything in the game. So you could do major heals with a side of wand(mage) or katana(Samurai) etc. Whatever weapon strikes your fancy. Because Sometimes.. Only the healer is left(in any game) and you need to be able to attack xD
WulfenKnight

Next

Return to Guides & Strategy